Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before this thread closes. I am glad I stayed solo over the years. I make a good income and all equipment is paid for. If I go down tomorrow all I would loose is my customers. I hope that does not happen because I enjoy taking care of my customers. This old fart does not like cold weather and I make enough income to only take care of my regular customers fall cleanup and then take the winter off. I have one last question about companys getting to big. What has happened to all those companys that loaded up push mowers only and under bid lawn cuts? They were everywhere 2 years ago and I have not seen any this year in Memphis.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocker View Post
So to summarize the thread, give up, and stop coming to this site, because apparently you have no chance in this business. Homeowner mower sales will sky rocket now!

I have to say that is a very cynical attitude and a complete distortion of what Procut's intent was in doing these two threads.

His is a very common story, unfortunately. The fact that he's willing to share his experiences -good, bad, indifferent- is a credit to him. Too many here have absolutely no clue/training/educational background on what it takes to make a service business grow and be successful.

More threads on what blower is "better", or what mower is more "bad ass", as opposed to how to manage cash flow, finance expansion, or control costs doesn't help anyone.

These threads are a breath of fresh air and a healthy dose of reality. Learn from it or, at the very least, be aware of what some of the dangers are in expanding crews and operational costs challenges.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said, GreenT!!! My thoughts exactly. Most people with common sense can probably cut grass and do light landscaping enough to make an average income for themselves, but to grow and develop a business is a TOTALLY different story with a LOT more education needed that most don't foresee. Kudos to ProCut for sharing his experiences and trying to help others out.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It can be done. Look at idealscape, jim lewis, etw, marty grunder. I think it takes multiple levels of competency to see the big picture and years and years of learning. It is a constant learning curve and constant evolving to stay ahead of the competition. They say 10 years to build a business, 10 years of improving systems and efficiencies, and then you reap the rewards on the next 10 years.

I think a prime example of success is jim lewis. Look at his posts, he is constantly trying to improve his services and efficiencies year in and year out. Each year finding new ways to be more profitable and making sure he shifting advertising to the newer mediums. And guess what, he has multi-million dollar company and drives an older truck! People like that are watching their margins, and really making the money. It is possible to net 250k+ in this business.... It aint a cakewalk though.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Moderator, Online Communities

time to put this one to rest