Register free!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I was a supervisor in the oilfield for 10 years and worked in the patch for 12. I have had to deal with guys like this a lot. First if I liked the kid I would work with him, but if the was just some Dude he would be gone.
I know you can tell the difference, you need to have a line in the sand.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain.

I have a most of the time good worker but he has little respect for listening to the wishes of the man that writes his pay check. He also figures out how to waste a lot of my time.
This has cost him a pay raise and the ones he got he would have gotten them sooner than he did had there not been some of these issues.
I'm fairly easy going but I expect it to be done the way I said I want it done.

I'd probably be more harsh on him but I see so very much of myself 10 to 15 years ago in him.
I'd like to think that I turned out OK so I'll keep working with him. Eventually he'll come around.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one employee that disagrees with me from time to time--but she's my foreman, and part of her job is to make sure that I'm not forgetting something. So sometimes she's right, and sometimes she's not. But, she still understands that I make the final decision. Once in awhile we'll butt heads about a decision, but she still will do things the way i ask.

If I butted heads with her all the time, I'd fire her very quickly--foreman or not. I don't put up with that sort of nonsense.
2003 Haulmark 6x14 Enclosed trailer
Old 04-29-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Fire him and be done with it.

Veritas and æquitas
Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Member

It really depends on how much you want to care. Some years I feel like I want to mentor some "kids" and I'll deal with some growing up to get the good work out of them and then there are years like this one when i am way too busy right now for bullshit. I dont think that there is right answer, but if you have explained to him privately that his attitude is unacceptable then cut him.

I would not give a bonus if he shapes up for a week though. I would however let him know that he missed out on the extra raise and why. I would also let him know that the raise could still exist, even outside of normal raise procedure. He hopefully will get it.

good luck, i lose more good guys to immaturity than anything else
Old 04-30-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you think you are giving him more slack because he is hispanic? I know that for me in the past I would let the hispanic guys get away with more than I would the Americans on the crew. I think it is because we know the opportunities that Americans would have and understand the culture. I am not sure that you can teach "respect" to someone that is in there late twenties. Respect is something that is taught while they are very young. It is easy to say fire him now but good, legal laborers are hard to find. However when work gets slow he might would be on the chop block.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

him, that's unacceptable.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

He will ruin your crew.

Better to take the money paid to him and put it in a bonus system for the other guys that pick up his slack.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLCthes4:11-12 View Post
.........It is easy to say fire him now but good, legal laborers are hard to find. However when work gets slow he might would be on the chop block.

I like these topics because it gives me an opportunity to gauge member's intelligence. And maturity for some.

I can't tell you how many I have employed over the last 22 years.

Many logistics. And FLCthes4:11-12 hit the nail on the head!

This industry isn't known for paying laborers or leaders $65k. We're talking humans that make under $15 per hour. At that rate, comes more than you want. Are they sober? Are they drug users? Will they show up? Do they have a drivers license and is it clean and valid? Are they legal to work in the states? Do they have a CDL? Did they just get released from prison? Are they on the sex offender list?

Its very rare that I flat out fire people that I like.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
I like these topics because it gives me an opportunity to gauge member's intelligence. And maturity for some.

I can't tell you how many I have employed over the last 22 years.

Many logistics. And FLCthes4:11-12 hit the nail on the head!

This industry isn't known for paying laborers or leaders $65k. We're talking humans that make under $15 per hour. At that rate, comes more than you want. Are they sober? Are they drug users? Will they show up? Do they have a drivers license and is it clean and valid? Are they legal to work in the states? Do they have a CDL? Did they just get released from prison? Are they on the sex offender list?

Its very rare that I flat out fire people that I like.

You forgot, do they look like a SI swim suit model