Register free!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Ya, I was thinking a liquid weed and feed application in early May, granule fertilizer end of June-ish, then a liquid 2-4D spraying in later September, then mid-October winterizer. How does that sound?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

What do you do to "winterize" a lawn?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguru wannabe View Post
Ya, I was thinking a liquid weed and feed application in early May, granule fertilizer end of June-ish, then a liquid 2-4D spraying in later September, then mid-October winterizer. How does that sound?
Fertilizing early June may be alright,,, but I would seriously reconsider doing a late June anything... Wisconsin Summer Sun can be brutal with 16 hrs of heat and steam everyday... forcing topgrowth during this period is when most of your problems will start...
Sometimes even letting it go dormant as it should, will STILL present problems, but wise irrigation is the only thing you want to do for cool season grasses in summer heat...

Start the 'winterizer' in late August through late September... once the Summer heat is past the grass roots will be actively growing again... as the weather turns even cooler(first frost) the plants will begin storing carbs for the winter... that is when you want the ferts and water available...
Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTC View Post
All it amounts to is feeding the plant as it begins to store up food for the winter... K is often added to ensure adequate supply for 'hardening off' the plants as the weather gets colder... K, actually is an important ingredient for the plant's 'anti-freeze'...
Water is also important, going into winter... most "Winter-Kill", that we observe is actually due to dessication, caused by winter winds...
Old 05-01-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

I own stock in Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan, so I'm a big fan of people using K on their lawns. It also makes a great Christmas gift.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

so how much total n are you fellas putting down on a 4-5 step program? 2.5-3 lbs per year ? How much for the price of n these days? some of these 6-7 steps with spoon feeding of urea and iron for summer looks not a bad idea? comments please!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Dollar Spot View Post
so how much total n are you fellas putting down on a 4-5 step program? 2.5-3 lbs per year ? How much for the price of n these days? some of these 6-7 steps with spoon feeding of urea and iron for summer looks not a bad idea? comments please!!!
Programs are for businesses like TGCL that do a "One Size Fits All" service for suckers... What I generally reference is What is best for the lawn and When is is best time to do it...
Old 05-05-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is odd. I fertilized my back yard. Late October, late November, double strength late November and not at all in different square areas. Shucks. I cannot see any difference at all. Its all green. Except the poa areas are light green. Partial shade area. Originally a quality bluegrass seed was used.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTC View Post
Oh, I meant adding fall fertilizer.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Fertilizing early June may be alright,,, but I would seriously reconsider doing a late June anything... Wisconsin Summer Sun can be brutal with 16 hrs of heat and steam everyday... forcing topgrowth during this period is when most of your problems will start...
Sometimes even letting it go dormant as it should, will STILL present problems, but wise irrigation is the only thing you want to do for cool season grasses in summer heat...

Start the 'winterizer' in late August through late September... once the Summer heat is past the grass roots will be actively growing again... as the weather turns even cooler(first frost) the plants will begin storing carbs for the winter... that is when you want the ferts and water available...
Isn't it hotter in late June than in early June?