Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Member

built your own trailer?

Has anyone built their own trailer? I am thinking about building me an open trailer 18'-20'x7'. Is it worth it? I have a mig wielder so that isn't a problem. Just don't know if the time it would take would be worth it cause of the cost of metal,axles,tires.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have the skills and equipment, and would enjoy the experience of building your own trailer, I would say go for it. However, if you figure the cost savings of building yourself versus buying a trailer and divide that figure by the number of hours it will take you to build, paint, wire, have the trailer inspected and titled yourself, I would bet that you make a whole lot more money per hour mowing lawns.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I mow part time due to working at my other job with benefits. So I figured if I get a chance work ob it here and there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's going to take you a while to get everything square. I wouldn't mess with a 18ft or 20 ft. That's a lot of work. But then again, I don't weld lol.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have a buddy who used to make a lot of trailer all different kinds! But with the price of steel constantly going up...its almost worth just buying a new or used one.
Like me... Im selling my Open trailer for $1500 right now. You cant build that trailer for that price!

PM For DETAILS!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Check out auctions in your area - lots of good used trailers are sold at auctions for about 1/2 the price of new.

obenauf
www.obenaufauctions.com
Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Once I have the shop I am planning then building my future trailers is in fact my plan. I have restored a 20 foot trailer 2 years ago and it was in horrible shape. And I was able to make it into a master piece that still gets me compliments. Now as you I also have a mig welder and for what I was doing it was fine but I think when it comes to building the frame and attaching the springs and axles you really want to have an arc welder as well. The cost are typically going to be higher then the basic models you can just buy. But the trailer can be light years better were talking 2 inch square tubular rails. And 4-6 inch angle iron on the frame plus you can incorporate the electrical and lighting in to armored areas that can not be damaged. Then the basket can be what you want not what was just offered the gate will have gate assist designed in not as an after thought. Then you don't need to settle for those awful tires and white painted rims most have. You can go right to Goodyear marathons and have rims that match the trucks.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

that is what i was thinking...2" tubing....well some migs can wield up to 1/2 thick and up, which is pretty dang thick.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a lot of satisfaction in building one yourself!

But today.... I do not think you could possibly come out for your time and money. I have built three single axle trailers, but that was back in the 70s when they were scarce and very pricey.

Check out the price of a new PJ in whatever size you are thinking of. I do not think you could possibly build one for the cost of materials alone.

PJ is far from the best trailer you can buy..... but for the price I think they are an excellent bargain. I have a dump and a car hauler and am very happy.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 8.5 x 20 foot enclosed trailer I want to let go for $500 firm scrap prices. I use this trailer as a shed right now. Ohio might be to far I think.
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER