Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

i guess if you are the workaholic type then go for it man. myself i don't wanna work from 6am-8pm every day and weekends as well.

i know there's people out there that work 2 or 3 or even 4 jobs. if it takes that to make ends meet then you are living way too far above your means. 1 job is all you need.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's really not that bad, I work until 3 and most of the time I am done by 5, 6 at the latest. Plus I enjoy doing lawn care so I guess it works out. Plus like I said, the biggest thing is once the summer hits I am done by noon pretty much everyday and often don't have anything going on
Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i guess if you are the workaholic type then go for it man. myself i don't wanna work from 6am-8pm every day and weekends as well.

i know there's people out there that work 2 or 3 or even 4 jobs. if it takes that to make ends meet then you are living way too far above your means. 1 job is all you need.
Once you get out on your own you will see, trust me I'm single and not exactly living the high life, it takes everything I make to keep the business going,growing and pay living expenses too, I'm defintly not living beyond my means. This year has been the best so far, But this business takes a lot of money to get off the ground, seems like there is ALWAYS something else I need though, I guess the fact that I'm getting more landscaping jobs as well as regular maint jobs doesn't help either, but I'm loving the challenge of it all.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

So you do this under the table...
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nope, all legit and insured although I dont know why you'd care. I have even started dropping small jobs and just keeping the big high paying ones, I don't see how its possible to complain their is no work, if I was just full time doing this I would have my days maxed
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Once you get out on your own you will see, trust me I'm single and not exactly living the high life, it takes everything I make to keep the business going,growing and pay living expenses too, I'm defintly not living beyond my means. This year has been the best so far, But this business takes a lot of money to get off the ground, seems like there is ALWAYS something else I need though, I guess the fact that I'm getting more landscaping jobs as well as regular maint jobs doesn't help either, but I'm loving the challenge of it all.
what are you talking about? i've been on my own for over 15 years.

there's no such thing as the "high life". even if you make millions guess what? your house will cost millions so you will be in the same boat as someone that makes $20k a year. there's alot of millionaires that have gone bankrupt. it's managing your finances to fit with how much you make. that is the key. you can work 4 jobs but you still are barely gonna be getting by. why not just work 1 job and barely get by? either way you are in the same position.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

its called a budget. telling your money where to go.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
I have to laugh because Jason has been on his own for a long time.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do it..well I'm just starting to do it rather. I teach Middle School shop class and Math. I left construction a few years ago for stability with teaching....then I got laid off. I got a new job teaching luckily and I was doing small side jobs like decks and pole barns in the summer. I realized I was putting out too much money in materials and if I got stuck on a job, it'd ruin me. So I decided to do the lawn care thing. I LOVE mowing grass and it didn't take me much to get started since I already had a ZTR, truck and trailer.

I'm shooting for 15 weekly customers, 20ish max. I'm only at 5 right now but anyhow, I've thought long and hard about the workload. The summer is a non issue, but it's really only 2 months and the spring and fall would be crazy. So I'm not planning to take on more than I can handle on my own even though I'd love to. It's just not practical.

I'm like you in that I'm doing this part time because I enjoy it, it should bring in a little extra money (that's very much needed) and also might be able to serve as a backup plan for the next time I get laid off. Like you said, teaching sucks right now and not only that, society hates teachers for whatever reason.

Not trying to start an argument here, but FWIW, I have a a bachelors degree, a Masters Degree, 4 certifications and I'm well on my way with a 2nd maters degree in special education. I make $17 bucks an hour teaching and I DON"T get paid for the my summers off like most people think. I'm contracted for 193 days and that's what I get paid for. I do have good medical insurance though and hopefully I'll have a pension in 32 more years. It's disheartening knowing that I can make more money mowing 4 yards than I can teaching all day. Again, not trying to whine and piss and moan like lots of teachers often do, just wanted to put that info out there for anyone who thinks teachers live on a gravy train.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
what are you talking about? i've been on my own for over 15 years.

there's no such thing as the "high life". even if you make millions guess what? your house will cost millions so you will be in the same boat as someone that makes $20k a year. there's alot of millionaires that have gone bankrupt. it's managing your finances to fit with how much you make. that is the key. you can work 4 jobs but you still are barely gonna be getting by. why not just work 1 job and barely get by? either way you are in the same position.
My mistake, I thought you said once you lived at home with your parents, sorry. I don't believe in living beyond your means, but it's a choice people have to make sorry but if I made milllions I wouldn't live in a million dollar house, WHY should I? I've got nothing to prove to anyone, I would have a multi million dollar investment portfolio though.