Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon OEP View Post
That is the difference. The offset is 5/16" different between the 2 blades. The 396-807 has the 5/16" offset like the newer 09081200 while the 396-740 blade has a zero offset. The 09081200 is the blade listed on the Gravely parts radar as the correct blade for the Pro Turn in question.
Hey, thanks again for a wealth of information. I love this site!
Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Bummer... cutting season will be winding down by then. Oh well... it is possible I will still have this mower next season.

SonnieP
Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon OEP View Post
That is the difference. The offset is 5/16" different between the 2 blades. The 396-807 has the 5/16" offset like the newer 09081200 while the 396-740 blade has a zero offset. The 09081200 is the blade listed on the Gravely parts radar as the correct blade for the Pro Turn in question.

These are the 740's

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 04-30-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
On my Z720 I did because I was going from a 5/16" thick blade that comes std on them, to the 1/4" G6's or OEM highlifts. On my Z950 I didn't because it came stock with OEM highlifts. The profile of the G6 and OEM highlift are exactly the same, as is the thickness of the blades.

Take a look at post # 378 (). There's a pic of the right one on my mower.
Yeah, the blades I had on there were Highlifts 1/4" thick 3 inches wide and it had the same curve in it and all. So I figured the washer wasn't needed.

First time using gator G6 blades today. Not sure what to think yet. Noticed the clippings are indeed a little more chopped up.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Where the G6's really shine is when the grass has had to be let go for a few days due to rain, and then it's all lush and long. I used to have to double, and once in a while triple cut to get rid of the extra long clippings on weekly cut lawns. I rarely have to do that anymore in the long, lush stuff. I don't think they stripe quite as well as the OEM high lifts, but they do good enough that I can live with the results to get the extra mulching performance.

Using them in conjunction with this MOD deck, I get very few clippings actually coming out the discharge chute with the chute wide open. The MOD deck looks almost indentical to the ICD deck underneath, and I mean very close in design when the MOD is in the open position. IMO, the front baffling causes the clippings to get chopped even finer than they did with the G6's and my std 7 Iron deck last year.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Cant say I have read through all 455 posts, but I have read quite a bit and trying to understand if the only advantage I would get with the G6 blades vs the Scag OEM would be the the clippings are smaller? Do these blades provide any more lift than the OEM that increase my quality of cut? I am also worried about the comments about the blades not striping as well. I have heard both sides....yes stripes well and not as good as OEM. I have a 52" Velocity deck.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1425 View Post
Cant say I have read through all 455 posts, but I have read quite a bit and trying to understand if the only advantage I would get with the G6 blades vs the Scag OEM would be the the clippings are smaller? Do these blades provide any more lift than the OEM that increase my quality of cut? I am also worried about the comments about the blades not striping as well. I have heard both sides....yes stripes well and not as good as OEM. I have a 52" Velocity deck.
The G6 blades on my 61in Velocity deck cut and stripe just as good as the OEM standard AND high lift blades. You're cutting the same types of grass as I cut and the G6 blades have proved to be a worthy contender with the Fusion tips and high lift performance on all of my lawns I maintain. I still have to go over a few a second quick run if the grass is heavy but it was much worse with the OEM high lifts. So far I haven't had clumping issues. I believe this is due to the fact that the G6 provides enough air flow with the taller sail but cuts the clippings into smaller pieces which allow them to fall into the lawn rather then lay on top. They cost me more through my dealer then the OEM Scag high lifts so I was skeptical about spending the money on something I was only hoping they would work well enough (kinda like you're probably feeling about now with whether or not to buy them) that I wouldn't feel like I wasted my money (tax write off or not) and after the first day using them, I was extremely impressed with the discharge ability and how well it fanned the clippings out. I kept looking back and to the side (when discharging onto the cut area) to see if it was piling up any and to my surprise, it wasn't. Every time I'd look back the smile was getting bigger and bigger. LOL

I say spend the money and try them. I think you'll be happy with the results. By the way, I have a Power Chute Design OCDC on my Scag. If I have to close it and it for obvious reasons will build up, it's much finer and when the pile pukes out, it takes a quick turn into the pile and it's gone.
I do not work for Oregon but I sure think they hit the home run that won the world series with the G6 blade.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1425 View Post
When I said I don't think they stripe quite as wwell as the OEM highlifts, that is for my brand only. I have no idea if they stripe as well as Scag's, so heed orangemowers opinion regarding that. I run Deere. Like I said, they stripe well enough that it isn't worth changing back to the OEM's for a tiny percieved amount on my part, and one probably no one else would notice. They do however chop the clippings up like no other side dsicharge blade that is currently available, and they have enough lift to provide an excellent cut and great discharge.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i'll never go back to high lifts. deere high lifts cost $70 a set where as the g6 are $50 a set so they are cheaper. they even leave just as good of a cut from what i've seen. note i don't stripe being down south so i can't speak about stripe performance.

most of my yards are bi-weekly cuts so the g6 blades have helped in a big way to reduce clippings left on the lawn after cutting. since they are smaller they fall into the yard better instead of laying on top of it.

i've also noticed in taller/wetter/thicker grass like 8"-12" my engine no longer bogs down like it used to with the high lifts. although this type of cutting is in rare cases such as first time cuts or cuts after periods of rain these blades help if those situations come up.

i'm very happy with these blades and i see no reason to ever use stock high lifts again over these.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for all the info from this thread and another.

I went and ordered a set of G6 for 2 - 72" mower decks. I received them yesterday, was raining earlier and I was working on tree trimming and such. I will post some pics, within the next few days.

I did have a slight nick on one of the cutting edges, painted over from the manufacturers. It is slight, was just a little surprised to see it. I don't have a balancer, but local mech. has one so had it checked - mainly because I was picking up some belts&filters there anyway.

I'll try them on the older fromt mower (f932). Has a stong blade in it now, so engine performance should be the same.