Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

what size tractor?

what size tractor would i need if i want to put a 1 yard bucket on it to load mulch at my shop? that is the heaviest that i really would need to lift. i am really only looking at kubota and john deere tractors.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a JD 4310 (32hp) and it will easily pick up a yard of mulch and dump it into my dump trailer with 33in sides. I don't think it will go high enough to go into a full size dump truck. This is something you must look at is the height of what vehicle you will be dumping in.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ok i didnt think of that... i primarily use a dump trailer with a height of 6' or so from the ground. is it the tipping weight that i have to worry about?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

tractor size

Most mid size compact utility tractors (25-35ish hp) will handle the weight of a yard of mulch. You would likely need a 72" lg materials bucket. If mulch is all you are dealing with you could do this without ballast even. However, if you are getting moving topsoil, stone and such, most mid sized CUT's would have a hard time dealing with a yard of stone or dirt. Those such loads could be well over 2000-2500# which may well be over the designed capacity of the loader and tractor. Happy tractoring.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the only reason that i would want to move a yard of mulch is to load trucks at my shop. aside from that measuring dosent really matter. i just need it to load over the sides of a dump truck or trailer easily and hassle free.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

bobcat ????

//
Old 05-08-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

im kinda hesitant about a bobcat due to not being able to take it on yards for landscaping without tearing the crap out of them in the process. also i feel that a bobcat would be more upkeep than a tractor.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

your going to need to get a decent size tractor to do that. I have a 2720 and I can load my 550 with a little skill and time, I mostly bought my tractor for spreading mulch at larger propertys and to do all my landscaping jobs I like the size because it is small enough to bring any where and easy to transport. but i tend to use my skidsteer to load mulch. I think a 3 sieres deere is a good size for landscaping and loading you may be able to get a 1 yard bucket for that size tractor but more likely will be a 1/2 or 3/4 yard bucket.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont know the jd model equivalent but i was looking at the 3550 i think size of kubotas. i know that many of them have skid loader attachment plates so i could just use a snow bucket from a skid steer? the only other option would be to spend money on a smaller tractor for landscaping and then get a crappy yard bobcat for loading only. i dont like that option due to it means more equiptment and maint' costs.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Besides lift capacity, the biggest problem you'll have is loading full-size dump trucks. Most guys around here weld in their sideboards which makes loading a pain. I use my NH TC35D for pretty much everything I do and I usually build a ramp to load out full-size dumps effectively. It's lift height is 105". I can load them, but the ramp makes it MUCH faster. You could build a dirt / gravel loading ramp in your yard for loading.

I looked at Mahindra's CUTs at my NH dealer. They're pretty hot on carrying them now that the CUT's are built by LS. Mahindra's 5035 lifts 2,700 lbs to full height which is 111.5". The 4035 is smaller with 2,400 / 106" respectively. They're built pretty stout.