Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIndustryAssociates View Post
What works best for me is to send a letter stating my intentions to file a mechanic's lien on the property in 30 days.
Odds are he is well past the time limitations to file a mechanic's lien, but she probably doesn't know that.

Draw up one last professional, and pointed, letter (receipt signature required) stating your intentions to file a lien on her house/take her to court. If she doesn't cave and pay, you have no alternative other than to take her to court. Beyond that, any "tactics" you might try could result in trouble for you instead.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Odds are he is well past the time limitations to file a mechanic's lien, but she probably doesn't know that.

Draw up one last professional, and pointed, letter (receipt signature required) stating your intentions to file a lien on her house/take her to court. If she doesn't cave and pay, you have no alternative other than to take her to court. Beyond that, any "tactics" you might try could result in trouble for you instead.
Most of the time when I send letters stating my intent to file the lien I am already well past the deadline myself. But most homeowners know very little about mechanics liens and are scared into paying the bill. The best is when a general contractor owes you and you know he has already been paid by the homeowner, send one of these letters to the homeowner and you can bet the contractor is going to get an ear full.