Register free!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

entry for Boots' antique irrigation museum

Found this on a old job today and still works.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have to love that fitting - solder a male adapter into a bit of thin copper tubing - fold over the end and solder it closed.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Boots would be the only one left to still have the slotted lug wrench to remove those heads, I had one, once, waay back. Love to see those brass nozzles, though.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Back when the big boys had their names put on the brass popups. Hall sprinkler company in Dallas had thousands of systems with their name on the brass. After they quit doing it they'd buy old popups with their name from other contractors.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Note the precision connection of the poly pipe - heat the hell out of it and force it over the copper tubing
Old 05-01-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Back when the big boys had their names put on the brass popups. Hall sprinkler company in Dallas had thousands of systems with their name on the brass. After they quit doing it they'd buy old popups with their name from other contractors.
Hall must've been huge, I run across their stuff in Houston from time to time. The only 80's era install I ever saw that had a drafted design was installed by Hall and it really wasn't bad, even by today's standards. They used impacts but they were not spraying over hard surfaces and had things hydro-zoned pretty well. Customer said they paid around $6,000 for the install, wish I could get that today...
Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
The only 80's era install I ever saw that had a drafted design was installed by Hall and it really wasn't bad, even by today's standards.
I have alot of systems i now service installed by a company that was based out of Goldsboro that was called "professional turf services" They were BIG toro fans.
They rolled hard in the early 80's to mid 90's. Started only with residential-commerical then quit
that- to only work on doing golf course systems. At their height im sure they had 15-25 guys on the payroll plus office staff.
Doing just irrigation... I remember when i was 17 or so going to their shop to get a couple of as-builts for some old residentals they installed in wilson, i was very impressed and is partly why i stuck around in the business so long. (Thats been 15 yrs ago.)

They had a full time draftsman (or two) doing all their asbuilts to hand to customers when finished, talking about some good looking drawings!

I have a handfull of them at my shop in my flat file cabinet for my
asbuilts and plans.

They closed up shop in the late 90's early 2000's with drop in golf course construction.

I called them one day for another as-built, they told me they had recently closed and THROWN AWAY hundreds/thousands
of drawings! (talking about a day late - dollar short) I would have paid a few 100 to keep all those drawings to see what systems they installed over the yrs.
NC Irrigation Contractors License #157
NC Licensed Plumbing Contractor #32636

Since 1994

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Koste...c/284215458045

Last edited by koster_irrigation; 05-01-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Hall must've been huge, I run across their stuff in Houston from time to time. The only 80's era install I ever saw that had a drafted design was installed by Hall and it really wasn't bad, even by today's standards. They used impacts but they were not spraying over hard surfaces and had things hydro-zoned pretty well. Customer said they paid around $6,000 for the install, wish I could get that today...
George Hall dominated Dallas irrigation I'm guessing for 30-40 years. Get into Preston hollow and along mockingbird and hall systems are every where. I enjoyed working on them. They had a consistency about them. Jumbo concrete dcva boxes. Hall valves which were renamed Moody's. Brass heads properly spaced. Hall-a-matic controller.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So who was making those brass sprays? Was it WeatherMatic?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
So who was making those brass sprays? Was it WeatherMatic?
Who are you asking
Posted via Mobile Device