Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
One more thing. I know I was really interested in the top speeds the various mowers have. However, unless you have a pool table for a yard you can forget about mowing that fast. The Ferris, with the suspension, MIGHT get you close, but there is no way I can mow at the 10 MPH that my Husky can go.
I don't know about Farris mowers. But I have recently mowed with a Scagg Cheetah. I have clocked it without blades engaged at 12.4 mph low range. And 15.9 mph high range. I did mow some fairly rough land close to top speed low range. I had a chance to mow some fairly smooth land at top speed high range. WOW! Now on my own mower, a Bad Boy Pup, on my own land that is fairly rough, I probably mow at 6 mph until the Bahia Grass starts putting up seed shoots. Then my speeds slow down. I do lower my air pressures at 8 to 10 psi helping to smooth out the ride.

Nice mow you have there!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Awesome pics. Thanks. The MZ6128 has very impressive specs on paper at this price range. Usually you have to go at least $1000 more for the 3400 Hydro, 23" tires, etc..It actually makes me wonder if they cut some corners somewhere else. I really like the idea of 23" tires because I do have a bit of a slope and it's rough. But there is little real world experience being reported. I'd love to hear more about how it's build and compared with other models at this price point. What have you found out about the Briggs Endurance? Will it go the distance? I've always figured on a Kawasaki, but if the Briggs will perform as well, then okay. My problem is dealer proximity. I would probably have to go about 125 miles for one, but maybe it would be worth it.

MS: You actually mowed at those speeds? and on roughish terrain? I've been figuring on 5 or so for me, but we'll see. I'm sure I'll try your advice on tire pressure, and probably get a Michigan seat as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
MS: You actually mowed at those speeds? and on roughish terrain? I've been figuring on 5 or so for me, but we'll see. I'm sure I'll try your advice on tire pressure, and probably get a Michigan seat as well.
The Cheetah is unreal! I had a breeze in my face! The cut was great! What was really unreal is he got that mower for about 9,500! As I was mowing at 14 mph I hit a rut that got the mower squirrely. I was worried about high siding and flipping the darn thing. The Cheetah has a suppression platform that includes the whole seating and floor area. You're just floating on a cloud. I just think it was only 2,500 more than I paid for my Pup!
Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Sometimes these threads make me wish I actually had a good reason for a $10,000 mower, but my wife is quick to point out that I... don't.

"But honey, it's an investment" Yeah, right.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
Sometimes these threads make me wish I actually had a good reason for a $10,000 mower, but my wife is quick to point out that I... don't.

"But honey, it's an investment" Yeah, right.
I met a guy in Michigan 12 or so years ago mowing on a Dixie Chopper. He stopped to talk with up. I noticed he crippled. He said he would load up on the mower every morning and start mowing lawns in the neighborhood making his living. So there you go!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
Oh, great, just when I making my decision, you have to throw this at me!
Oh, and how is the Briggs? I see they don't offer Kaw, which is my first choice.
The frame is very heavy duty,it is the same as the PZ. I will point out that the deck is not a 7 guage more like a 10, but stout enough for the homeowner. I mow mostly flat acreage with no hills just rises some of it
very rough grass type the rest manicured. It does very good on both. The
Briggs is powerful and at 821cc's more usuable torgue. It is not the Vanguard but is rated EPA 1,000 hours. My concern about the engine was
modified by some local users(commercial) that informed me the engine
is more than durable enough for homeowner use, it is really a heavier
beefed up version of the 771 series engine with heavy duty bearings and
an oil cooler.
As for comparison, my only experience is with commercial grade Toro, Hustler and Exmark machines that I operated for LCO's.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=sprinter;4400956] My problem is dealer proximity. I would probably have to go about 125 miles for one, but maybe it would be worth it.

Yea, as much as I like my machine, the smart advise is to "buy the dealer" more than a brand, there is just no way to replace a good dealer.
I can fix anything on the machine myself with the exception of the drive
axles, but like every one else I need a source for the OEM parts.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Scag

Mow 5 acres with mine weekly and it does a great job. $6800 otd built like a tank and leaves a beautiful cut.
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Member

That Husky looks nice for the price. I usually over research myself. In my experience, Ferris 1500 non-ICD deck new, Scag 52" V-ride new and a few walk behinds, using is more important than research. My current V-ride has great cut/dispersal because it has I believe a 22" discharge opening. The larger the opening the better IMO. Ferris has the same in the ICD now as well. Cut/dispersal is very, very important. Scag/Ferris is best for non $500,000 house lawns. Exmark is best for $500,000 lawns. At the same time, My Scag belw a starter the first time out. They all have problems, just like cars. My advise/experience, buying in off-season will save you about $800. Ferris/Scag currently have 0% for 4 years. Quite appealing. Gravely was purchased by Ariens = quality IMO. Husq is questionable because Electrolux is an acquisition entity: http://husqvarnagroup.com/en/about/history/timeline
Meaning profit is paramount. Personally, I'd feel safer purchasing a product from a smaller and more focused CO. and not a co. that specializes in acquisitions. That said, I just purchase a $300 Husq string trimmer based on reviews on this site so, who knows.
Get the best mower for the least price. Don't over research. I' just made $800 buying in Fall and selling in Spring a 2010 36" Grandstand on craigslist. Delas can be had if you know when/what to look for. I sold my Ferris 1500 after a couple of years because the dispersal sucked. Again, IMO, cut/dispersal is very important. The Ferris ICD deck now is the same as Scag. I love the Scag dispersal and cut. There's always someone in Fall who needs to sell a great machine for a stupid price because he needs money. Use it and, if you don't like it, sell it for profit or break-even and find something else. Personally, I find this fun. Iv'e done this several times with various machines. But, I do have about 15 properties in which to justify this. None larger than 3 acres though.

2012 F150FX Scab
2011 Scag 52" Vride
(3) Craftsman 42" riders
(1) John Deer 318 not working
(1) older Agrifab tow leaf sucker-upper, works good
(1) 2011 Echo Long shaft hedge trimmer
(1) 07' Honda single stage snow blower
(1) 2010 18" Echo chainsaw
(1) 2012 Husqvarna 326LS trimmer
(1) 2011 Ariens Pro 32" snow thrower

Last edited by ommegang; 05-06-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I like to research the heck out of stuff too, but this is getting old now.LOL It's called "analysis paralysis". I'm getting the Gravely HD 60" Kaw. The Husq MZ6128 looks good on paper, especially for the price, but I just don't get good vib's from this model. I think they had to have cut corners somewhere, although that may have been by going to what apparently is an upgraded and spec'd Briggs Intek, which maybe is okay now. The fully commercial models are probably fine. If price were no object or if I could justify it, I would jump all over Gravely's new 460.