Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-17-2011, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This little property is one of the first I ever acquired. Absolute tiny lot but have done lots of small landscpe projects like new sod lawn (it looks just ok now with all the heat and dry weather lately), new front bed with hostas, and other improvements in the backyard, and the house got a neighborhood impovement award from the village!! I'll take some credit for that!
Attached Images

Last edited by MDLawn; 08-17-2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well after all that drama I've decided to continue with the landscaping side of my business. I've retained work from many of my mowing customers who I will no longer be mowing for, must have done something right to retain them. I'll be trying to start a marketing strategy for the spring and hopefully pick up more landscape maintenance/small install work. I know it's going to be much more difficult to get new landscape maintenace (non mowing) customers than picking up the extra work from the mowing customers. I have plenty of work to keep my busy for the upcoming spring but having more isn't always a bad thing. It's crazy around here as we have not had a major snow event all winter (well the southern tier did) and it's almost the middle of January!! So seeing all the landscapes in my area not covered in snow makes me keep thinking about all this more and more.

For any of you Buffalo/Amherst/Orchard Park/WNY area guys I'd be happy to point any potential lawn mowing contacts I get this year in your direction and if you dont handle landscaping work or are too backed up feel free to send anything my way
Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not boxwood perfectionist like Perfect Earth yet, but these low boxwoods are a backbreaker!! Also the truck and dump trailer with mulch for this job.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mulch job for a friend of mine. He did the clean out and edging(not deep enough for me) and just called me into mulch. The last pic is a large berm that in order to get to it you have to go uphill no matter which path you took. Fun times.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2012, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This was an attempt to remove bushes along my house. Worked really well until a stubborn bush won and bent the right leg (not shown here) of the hoist.
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Looks good man, and it sucks the bush won....how many yards does your dump trailer hold?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
Looks good man, and it sucks the bush won....how many yards does your dump trailer hold?
Yea not good about the hoist, I should've braced underneath it better to prevent that.

The dump is a 7x14 and the most I've done was 8 yards. It'll hold more of the non dyed mulches but the black dyed is pretty heavy. Payload is at 9400lbs max on the label.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

everything looks superb. are you going to stay in the business and try and make it a 8-5 job? so you have time with the fam?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnieobrien View Post
everything looks superb. are you going to stay in the business and try and make it a 8-5 job? so you have time with the fam?
Not sure what I really want to do. I really like the fact that I'm not mowing anymore (just 1 small account for a friend but he gives me tons of landscaping work). People have asked me about mowing but when I give a price people just laugh and say "I think I'll just stick with my current person". I would definitely like to be on the landscaping side only (maintenance non-lawn and installation) if I were to make a run. Just need to get more work. I know others will say mowing leads to other work and I do agree, but thats why EVERYONE mows. I'd mow if I had to but I wouldn't be actually ever doing it again if I could get enough accounts for someone to do it. I'm just going to see where this goes in the next couple years of pushing the advertising and decide then.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you tried landing a few big mowing accounts just to fill your schedule ? And I wouldn't give high estimates just so they say no cuase then they might think your other wrk is high too. Maybe go commercial for mowing. And when a residential account calls explain that you don't do that. Or sub it out. Just an idea.
Posted via Mobile Device