Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

2005 Toro Reel Mower

Selling 2005 RM-5500D Reel Mower. Only 1400 hrs. Used to mow sports turf at local university. Only selling as they have decided to mow in house. Kubota diesel engine. 11-blade reels set to 7/8". No leaks, no smoke. Starts & runs great. $3900 service in Jan '12. New bed knives, sharpening, etc. Always stored under cover and well maintained. Located in Cookeville, Tennessee which is half way between Nashville and Knoxville on I-40. Have more pics if interested. Can discuss delivery options if needed. Email or 931-372-2571
$7500 OBO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toro.jpg (38.2 KB, 99 views)
Old 05-04-2012, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Member

So it cost $3900 to service this machine? Please clarify. Also, how often do blades need to be sharpened and how much is that service? Love the kubota diesel. Thanks

"Excellence in Everything"
Old 05-04-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm sorry about that! I just wanted to imply that the mower is ready to roll! I assume bed knives wear out periodically but you won't have to worry about it anytime soon. Basically, I bought it last summer and I didn't look close enough. Came from a golf course in Alabama. Replaced bushings, etc. and the reels are totally ready to mow and they have been mowing field this spring. I think a yearly professional blade sharpening is needed and that is just a couple hundred (?) No major expense needed with this machine. It's ready!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I have approximately 8 ball fields that I service, that are currently still rye and clover, and I service twice a week with my Kubota rotary Z. The bermuda is starting to show. By the end the month it will be primarily bermuda for the rest of the season, needing service 2-3x/week through August. The sports assoc. that own these fields do not have the money to maintain these fields as needed (aerations, topdressing, etc), and thus the fields also have a good amount of warm season weeds and fescue,etc. My question is, how well do these reel mowers do with crabgrass, fescue or any other type of flat bladed weed/grass? Also what is the cutting width of this mower and can it be hauled with a standard open 6.5' wide trailer? Sounds like you may have gotten into what I am trying to avoid by buying something I am not familiar with and getting in over my head. I need to make sure this mower will handle all of the needs of these sports facilities and not just the bermuda grass.

"Excellence in Everything"
Old 05-05-2012, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I believe the cut is 102". I can get specifics. I had been spraying the fields at Tech for years and they had been mowing with a ZTR set low and it was just not working. We conned them into getting the reel mower and the difference was almost instant! You could tell a difference within a week. We got the larger 5 reel unit as we were potentially looking at mowing 6 fields and if you got 3 straight days of August rain, you'd be in a bind with a smaller unit. This mower WILL NOT fit on a standard trailer. Front tires too wide and reels don't quite clear sideboards. We had to borrow a heavy duty flatbed trailer. Once you get the grass down, I think you'll be OK. Reel mowers don't do very well with tall grass/weeds as they just tend to roll over them. Once summer hits and the Bermudagrass kicks in, I think you'll be thrilled with the results. Message me back or call my office Monday AM. I'll be glad to talk to you more, send additional pics. It's a good, dependable unit that will work great for sports turf.