Register free!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rose View Post
Ok, good deal. Guess your soils skew towards a low pH there, which I think is what most of the country has. We are just "lucky" here because of the large amount of limestone in the region, though not in my area, we still have high pH issues. I see pellitized lime at the home centers here and just shake my head. People that don't know better or that came from a part of the country where spreading lime once or twice a year was normal, are just ruining their soil with it here.
The property is my parents, when dad got down I took over doing the yard and started doing the landscaping and got alot of what he couldn't do started. Mom, always used to living in a country club estate but now retired and both on a fixed income well, couldn't afford it on SS and retirements so I help out.

Prior to them buying the home it was on a wooded lot, doubt it ever seen any fertilizer. After dad got the tree's cut and some grass sowed, still no fertilizer so it wasn't till 2006 I started, little by little I learned and even then, took 5 years just to get the soil amendments to what they should be but now I have everything under control, just testing different theories each season to see what will minimize the brown patch without buying fungicides as often.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 02-14-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

About iron. I tested iron sulfate in 4 spots around me. But then it snowed. So no results visible. However I am raising some more grass in plastic pots inside. I plan to test iron at label rate, 3 times and 6 times. Stay tuned.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
About iron. I tested iron sulfate in 4 spots around me. But then it snowed. So no results visible. However I am raising some more grass in plastic pots inside. I plan to test iron at label rate, 3 times and 6 times. Stay tuned.
That should be intersting, keep us posted.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 05-05-2012, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys just a update..

Heading into brownpatch season, applied clearys a couple days ago but unlike previous years "NO LEAF SPOTS" all spring. Now, its wet and humid and not even a sign of fungus and think it had a lot to do with no nitrogen in the spring.

And yu know, the yard grew just as much as it did last year with Nitrogen on it, mowing once a week on average.

Hope I don't jinx myself now "knock on wood"

Then God created Women
Old 05-05-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusbuster View Post
Nitrogen potash sulfur

the three numbers refer to the percentage of these main elements.

nitro promotes growth which in turns greens up the lawn. the other to elements promote thickness of lawns and root growth.
All the good ferts have a percentage of iron. Chealated iron is what makes a grass green without really making your plant grow fast.

There are other products out there that contain iron and will not stain concrete or other hard surfaces, but they tend to be way more expensive.

John
You mean Nitrogen Phosphorus and Potassium
Old 05-05-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Member

sulfur? potassium