Register free!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

[QUOTE=loyd meeks;4394885]We live in wooded rural area and have heavy deer population. Best thing we have found to keep deer off plants and rubbing bark off trees is human urine. Certain times of the year is the worst so I collect my pee and using a pump sprayer we spray tree bark, and borders of garden and flower beds. We repeat every couple of days. In past we have had good luck with melted moth crystals but we hate the smell. The urine is watered down and it doesn't smell hardly at all.

^^^^
Must be drinking the good stuff, better hope the deer don't decide to fight back Urine fight!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I don't see how that's possible, there is plenty of food for deer during the summer, its the deep snow and lack of natural predators that drive them towards natural landscapes. The amount of acres of woods depends on where u live, and the food available. Additionally people put out bird feeders and don't allow hunting because deer are cute, cute but they taste good.
I wonder why you would say don't spray the lawns, there are ticks on the lawns. They drop off of animals all the time, if you have little critters going across your lawn then you most certainly will have them in the lawn. There will be higher numbers in beds and wood edges but we still spray the lawns.
QUOTE=phasthound;4401358]With deer populations as high as they are around here they will get used to most spray products because hunger overrules deterrents. They have stripped forests of the under story plants except for barberry. With no saplings surviving, these forests will not last for more than 50 years.

There is a company that specializes in deer deterrent, can't think of there name at the moment. Fencing is the only long term solution I know of.

If you're trying to reduce ticks, don't bother spraying lawns because tick habitat is shady, brush and tall grasses.[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think the automatic sprinkler to chase off deer, dogs, etc. is a unique tool, however, I can't help but chuckle at the irony. Since this offers a way to chase off deer, dogs,etc. in essence the water will attract birds that are after a bath or for worms that come up. Then you will have a problem of bird excrement, and the cats that are attracted to the foul.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=humble1;4402111]I don't see how that's possible, there is plenty of food for deer during the summer, its the deep snow and lack of natural predators that drive them towards natural landscapes. The amount of acres of woods depends on where u live, and the food available. Additionally people put out bird feeders and don't allow hunting because deer are cute, cute but they taste good.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...roying-forests

I wonder why you would say don't spray the lawns, there are ticks on the lawns. They drop off of animals all the time, if you have little critters going across your lawn then you most certainly will have them in the lawn. There will be higher numbers in beds and wood edges but we still spray the lawns.

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.or...269&Itemid=183

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check out the deer shocking pole. A post with a spot for potato or apple bait. And two wires...which carry about 10,000 volts. Need 3 AA batteries. Hopefully the other deer will get the hint when they see the first deer take off running.
http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5250-...ews/B000BQRF60
Old 05-05-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A deer will avoid one spot and travel to another on the property if there is a food source. You would have to place these deer poles about 50 ft. apart around the perimeter to do any good. And then once the perimeter is avoided, then the deer will just do their destruction on the inside. To me, these gimmicks are okay for some situations but isn't really practical for all.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Once again a QUESTION not advice about repelling deer. What about Electric fence?? For both Horses and cattle I use a hot top wire on my fence. Fence chargers come rated by miles of wire they can keep charged. They can give a good jolt. They can be set up on a timer to only turn on during certain times of the Day or Night.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bifenethrin..........Deltamethrin! These are good choices for exterior tick control. Remember, the ticks will be in places other than on the grass.........they will be in the trees-sometimes higher than a homeowner sprayer can reach, they will be in shrubbery, scrub grass areas and wildflowers. Be careful in treating these wildflower areas during bloom for bee populations will be lessened. I would follow the directions on the labels and treat on monthly intervals during high deer travel times.

Putting up a fence is okay, but remember this-- Buck, Doe, Fawns can jump a normal 5ft. tall fence with ease. You will want to have razor wire boundaries installed to be efficient and don't be fooled with the idea of electric fencing. The deer can sense electrical impulses so don't go there.
I was being foolish about my comment of the bird and cat population increase but there is some practical knowledge to that radical blurt out.
If you are seriously wanting to clear out the deer. Contact a real-professional trapper and have them place out scent barrier of natural predator's. This will work during rut season. Then again, just contain some of your own urine in a gallon milk jug and pour it here and there on the outskirts of the property. This will help............but hey, people are civilized and don't do such things...........RIGHT? Get back to the basics of why you don't pee around the hunting camp or while you are in the woods attracting deer. Think about it!! Deer smell humans or their scent and they are gone.

One more small thing. Many cans tied to heavy string set along the path of travel where the wind can blow them around..........this will deter deer from coming, yet they will find an alternate route.

Why not set out noise makers, set out scent traps, purchase one of the product I mentioned above to spray around the house? To be completely effective with controlling the tick.........you will need ovacide products added to the sprays, but then this get too cost sensitive if you have a large property. Talk to a professional, then talk to a Game and Fish Agent, The County Extension services and get more input on this subject.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=phasthound;4402637]
Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
I don't see how that's possible, there is plenty of food for deer during the summer, its the deep snow and lack of natural predators that drive them towards natural landscapes. The amount of acres of woods depends on where u live, and the food available. Additionally people put out bird feeders and don't allow hunting because deer are cute, cute but they taste good.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...roying-forests

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.or...269&Itemid=183

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.
Sure you can just make stuff up you just did!

Phasthound maybe you can explain how when i measure lawns i am getting covered in ticks then?

Please reread the info link you provided I copied it below- it shows "grass" as a place where ticks can be. Also where the lawn meets the woods would also include the lawn edge what you suggested we shouldnt spray.

Tick Habitat

Many people think ticks are only present in the woods. However, ticks can be found in many areas.
Where woods/fields meet lawn
Wooded areas
Tall brush/grass
Under leaves*
Very small numbers on cut/raked lawns or sports fields
Under ground cover (plants) in yard *
Around stone walls and woodpiles where mice & other small mammals live

*under plants/leaves to prevent dehydration

I must say you should go back to selling the organic stuff and not giving expert advise in this area, this is the problem with people like you that go on a thread spouting garbage from your mouth as though you know anything about tick mitigation, when you clearly dont have any expertise in this area of pest control. Given the real life dangers of Lyme Disease and Babesiosis many people look online for real solutions to a problem they have, they often come to this site thinking a professional might have an answer. You Sir are as far from an expert in the field of tick control and mitigation as you can get, your facts and advice are just incorrect! I am a professional in tick mitigation, I hold cat 47 in MA for mosquito and biting fly, as well as cat 37 in Turf our company also does pest control, and have a dedicated truck, tank sprayer and 50ft air blast on a four wheeler for tick and mosquito mitigation services. It is out right dangerous for you to give advise in this area, if someone doesnt spray their lawn and thinks ticks are not there due to your "expert advise" then they or their family is at risk.

Human sent is a problem when deer hunting in areas of the country where human scent is lacking, example way out in the woods is not where you want to pee if your hunting. Deer know and are accustom to our scent, they come into our yards and eat our shrubs, human scent is not something they are scared of.

Deer are not the only problem with ticks, ticks are not born with the bacteria that causes lyme disease, they get it by getting a blood meal from infected mice primarily, chipmunks, rabbits, opossum, and two types of birds (i cant recall) This is why tick tubes is only one thing to use in tick mitigation, because you dont get the other sources of reintroduction with just tubes. This is also why deer scent deterrents arent going to protect you.

Here is the best thing to do for tick control.

Clear away brush piles or old wood piles where rodents will nest, keep a clear border edge between wood line and lawn. Cut away underbrush, mice and rodents do not like being out in the open where they can get picked off. Remove bird feeders, mice and chipmunks will come onto the "LAWN" to feed and will drop ticks all over your lawn. Wood chips will provide a barrier that dehydrates ticks, and should be used around any childrens climbing structures.

Keep lawns cut regularly and cut short, again rodents dont like being in the open. Spray your lawn to kill what gets dropped there, shrub and flower beds, under decks, stone walls and wood lines, we go for 20ft min of wood edge penetration. Additionally garlic repellents are not going to work, if i spray an acre and a tick is in the middle of it, which way is the tick going to start walking, they dont travel far. They wont like it but as soon as the grass starts growing there is new untreated leaf, a few days later there is a lot of area where they can hang out.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 05-06-2012, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Humble,
You make a good point on deer being not the only culprit in tick spread. In my area, the deer are only in the county areas or better set 100 miles around our rice country. We have to travel to deer hunt. Lyme's disease must be a problem in your area as per the population of urban and city life meets. We are privy to squirrel, raccoon, mice,rat and other small rodents that pose a small issue, but tick populations arise from outside aerial applications of pesticides to crops. Then we do have areas of unpopulated rangeland. Ticks do mitigate looking for food....BLOOD! when the temperatures start to rise.
In essence, Arkansas requires a license for nuisance pest control such as mosquito's but the structural pest control section will cover outside and inside pests. My license covers outside pests of the lawn and landscape. Then again, if a tick,flea or other such structural pest enters the lawn area, it is covered under general lawn spraying of insecticides.
I again will treat a lawn to target pests in such areas of high traffic where the tick and flea will persist. I really wish the public was more conscious about pest issues then my business would benefit from the control.

Tags
chemical , deer , fertilizer , pesticide , ticks