Register free!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jim,

Adam went back through the T3 Innovation's manual for the Snap Shot, then went back to that Tucor Site that had a 300 ft. plus section of wire path with a short and found the repair point in 10 min.

The curb and sidewalk was "spot repaired" in small sections, which is what made this a difficult repair. We could have just started digging at each repair area, but that would have been a waste of time.

Anyway, he took the TDR armed with all of your tips and tricks only to find the wire path repaired with standard wire nuts and duct tape!! LOL I guess the concrete contractor did this so called repair, but the TDR ended up giving him a ready of 26 ft. from the splice box which pin pointed it exactly.

Anyone working with 2-wire needs to have at least one of these in your arsenal of troubleshooting tools. Thanks for all help Jim!!
Old 05-06-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrigation Contractor View Post
Jim,

Adam went back through the T3 Innovation's manual for the Snap Shot, then went back to that Tucor Site that had a 300 ft. plus section of wire path with a short and found the repair point in 10 min.

The curb and sidewalk was "spot repaired" in small sections, which is what made this a difficult repair. We could have just started digging at each repair area, but that would have been a waste of time.

Anyway, he took the TDR armed with all of your tips and tricks only to find the wire path repaired with standard wire nuts and duct tape!! LOL I guess the concrete contractor did this so called repair, but the TDR ended up giving him a ready of 26 ft. from the splice box which pin pointed it exactly.

Anyone working with 2-wire needs to have at least one of these in your arsenal of troubleshooting tools. Thanks for all help Jim!!
that sounds very encouraging. adam seems to be smarter than the average bear and you are lucky to have him. hope to try my snapshot this week
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
that sounds very encouraging. adam seems to be smarter than the average bear and you are lucky to have him. hope to try my snapshot this week
Posted via Mobile Device
I am lucky to have him for sure. He takes care of all the central control systems, 2-wire troubleshooting and several other computer or technical aspects of the business.

I have some great service techs and I do not have time to baby sit them. The fact they all get along, share information and each have certain skills that make for a great service department TEAM.

Everyone knows when it comes to service techs, the ability to troubleshoot takes a certain individual. Installers are completely different, you have to be able to take a step back when approaching a repair.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrigation Contractor View Post
Everyone knows when it comes to service techs, the ability to troubleshoot takes a certain individual. Installers are completely different, you have to be able to take a step back when approaching a repair.
Yup, out of my three leads, I'd only send the big, slow, bohunk out. The other two did fine on installs, but had not the patience or wherewithal to troubleshoot, especially with the 521.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It can be taught, but the best troubleshooter's have it as part of their personality or character. I have had some serious hustlers that could fly doing repairs, but when it came to wire issues, they just did not have the patience.

It was not that they were not smart enough, they just wanted to go to step 5 and skip 1-4 all the time. Then they would get frustrated when they went to step 3 and could not figure it out. LOL
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

dukester

Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
dukester

I need to know the NPV of the wire that I am checking. I also wonder about the spices and wire size changes.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We laid our 100 ft lengths at the shop of 12 and 14 gauge maxi wire, then saved the values as custom presets.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i have had good luck using 50-55% for the vop or npv for 14 and 18 ga BUT i haven't put the snapshot to work yet nor was i all that concerned about exact distances since we don't know how the wire is layed in the wire path.

for the last few years i have focused on the order of inground placement of the valves to narrow the search area. the t-3 has my curiosity up

i'll prolly learn a little or a bunch from the t-3 in the next few weeks.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think on a large site, it will help narrow down the playing field and be an adunctive to the wire trace for sure.