Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydro pump problems(lesco)

Ok guys,hopefully you can give me some direction here.OK, i have old lesco ZTR.One of the old front deck kind.About 2 years ago i replaced the right side hydro pump.Well my cap had busted apart for my hydro tank and my fluid got all milky.I realized this after i was mowing and started having issues with the hydro pump making noise and such.Well i cleaned out the tank and the whole system and now have fresh oil in it.Well my right side pump keeps getting air bound and howling.I take the bleeder loose and let it purge and then it will go for 2 minutes and do the same thing.I took all the hydraulic lines off and cleaned them to make sure there was no debri.All is clear.Welli decided to take the hydro pump off and when i did it was leaking out of the front seal.I dissasembled the entire pump and it looks good.All the bearings are good and all the springs and plates are good.The gerotor pump looks great too.Is it a possibility that it is pulling air through that front seal or do you think the pump is toast?The pump is a hg-bdp-10l-172-p-r .Should i buy a new one or rebuild?And where can i get the kit to do it?I only got my yard half mowed. . The left side pump is the OEM unit and it has taken a beating.But none the less what do you all think?
Old 05-06-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure you blow out the aluminum cooler, they tend to hold debris from previous pump failures. Generally pushed or leaking input seals are from excess pressure from a blockage. As far as air in the system make sure all suction side fittings and lines are tight also make sure the hydro filter is not loose.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Suction side fittings are all secure.The line from the hydro tank feeds a junction block and then 2 lines split to each hydro motor from there.So if there was a suction leak it would have to be in that one line going to the right side motor(or so i suppose).I removed the lines and cleaned them all out and reinstalled and tightened them all.Then i bled the hydro motor and the wheel motor.It mowed for 5 minutes then started howling again.then the handle went limp for the right side and i stopped.I'm curious to what causes the motors to do this.(air bound,moisture etc etc.).Like i said the input shaft seal was leaking but i just think that this was a result of the original problem.Maybe from the contaminted fliud?I just don't think that if i install a lip seal in the input shaft that it's going to solve my problem.I just think i'm gonna fix the leak and still have a howling pump.Any more help would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, your pump doesn't have a "bleeder valve" it's the BYPASS valve, used for pushing the unit around and also for initially purging the air out of the pump.
The manual for your pump can be had here:http://www.hydro-gear.com/Main/servi...0l-bln-50231_1 Pay attention to the purging procedure on page 4.
It's not likely the pump is sucking air thru the shaft seal, but ya wanna make sure the shaft isn't messed up where the seal lip rides. If the bypass valve is leaking internally it can cause a noisy pump and can also cause your symptoms.
Ya need to take a close look at the bypass valves tip and seat.
The seal kit is #2513018 and can be had from a bunch of online vendors.
It also helps to fill the pump up with oil before you button it up.

Oh yeah, do something with that stupid avatar!

......AMF!
Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

OK, .Bypass valve. .I'll check it out. Thanks.Oh and BTW....I'm keeping that avatar forever now.