Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seed April 26

A nearby lawn was hydraulic seeded on April 26th. New construction house. Corner lot with main street in background. Sandy soil. No irrigation. A foster care home--not owner occupied. Weather has been cool and with occasional rain. I took photos most days. A second similar house nearby had a woodsy area in background.

Finally, after 9 days, tiny sprouts became visible. Maximum height about a half-inch. Temps today about 63 with light rain. I just thought you would like to see its progress. Nothing that shows up on camera so far.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It was around that time here that the broadleaf seed flush was in full swing, so it is good that your seed has germinated w/out a lot of complication yet...
Now that you're retired you can to more observations which sounds like fun...
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

April 26 seed up

11 days after hydraulic seeding small sprouts of maximum 2 inches tall appeared and slight evidence of green color was visible. Temp was warm for a couple days and otherwise cool and rainy; temp 56 today and light rain.

Ignore the sprouts from old sod that came up around the new tree. Look at the arc of pale green area in the foreground.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What idiot did the hydroseeding???

It looks like it was 25% covered at the most LOL.

No wonder nothing is coming up.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am not a hydroseeding expert. I do not know what company did the seeding job. I am not sure, but the equipment looks to be a low end jet agitation setup. I thought the job looked OK to start with. We will see soon. Here is weather data for an ag weather station at Hudsonville, about 10 miles away.

http://www.agweather.geo.msu.edu/maw...sp?fileid=hvld

High temp in last 10 days was 82, and high soil temp was 66. There was about 2.9 inches of rain. Near ideal conditions for the situation considering it is a spring seeding. There is no evidence of any hose or sprinkler.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I am not a hydroseeding expert. I do not know what company did the seeding job. I am not sure, but the equipment looks to be a low end jet agitation setup. I thought the job looked OK to start with. We will see soon. Here is weather data for an ag weather station at Hudsonville, about 10 miles away.

http://www.agweather.geo.msu.edu/maw...sp?fileid=hvld

High temp in last 10 days was 82, and high soil temp was 66. There was about 2.9 inches of rain. Near ideal conditions for the situation considering it is a spring seeding. There is no evidence of any hose or sprinkler.
A proper hydroseeding coat would have the entire area blue with zero soil visible, and seed coming up everywhere after 10 days.

It should be a thick layer and not that hit and miss barely covering the ground that job is.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New seed 13 days

The new seed is beginning to show a bit of green color. Rainy weather has been very helpful. Temp is 58 at the moment.
Soil around here is very sandy and infertile. I do not think any soil was brought in. Area was mostly unmowed blue and quackgrass before house was built, (in Early 2012.)
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

New seed 15 days

Here is shown new seed as of May 11. Soil is light colored and sandy. Ant hills are a likely indication of no water for 48 hours, and sandy soil. I suspect organic matter and fertility are at a minimum. Previous "crop" (tall grass) can be seen in the foreground of the top photo of the equipment. The invasive weed, garlic mustard is visible at the far left of top photo--fuzzy focus.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Someone actually paid for that.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New seed at 17 days

Temperature is 72 today, but no rain, or just a brief shower, for a few days. Grass is taller, warm weather is helping, but now I think dry soil is slowing it down. Round plastic cover near the sidewalk is a drain connected to eves trough. Warm, dry weather predicted, 75 tomorrow. Actually, I think there is a good chance that crabgrass will arise in a few weeks. Wait and see.
Attached Images