Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Greetings. As new to the site as I am to the business.

Hello.. my name is Josh and I hope to one day have my own business. I'm interested in general landscaping / lawn maintenance.

Lately I've been going door-to-door with 1 or 2 friends to make a few extra bucks for each of us. All we've got is my SUV for transportation, 3 leaf rakes 1 of which is mine, my hard rake, and an electric blower and metal trash can which were given to us by happy customers who had no use for them.

Our basic approach is to look for yard needing leaves raked, put out a decent price, get it done, and then see if the customer needs anything else done. We've got a few regulars now and so far it's been enough to just go out and do if we're able, make a little money to use recreationally while I get my extra compensation for gas and wear on my truck, also have been able to invest a little into the business but not much.. just enough to buy the hard rake and a bulk deal on leaf bags.. anyway

I don't know much about this sort of thing but I want to have a real business in the field someday. If possible I'd like to take it to that level with the 2 friends I've been working with, but there are some other issues with them that will have to be worked out later. For now, I want to focus on educating myself while building a solid arsenal of tools.

This is where my living circumstances come in. I'm 24 and I live with my brother and grandma. My brother never did a whole lot around the house. My grandma's health has been declining over the past few years and it's just us maintaining the place.. if you can even call it maintaining.. the place is much too large for us 3 and I've always felt overwhelmed here and never done much more than what she asked of me. It's just becoming more and more of a cluster**** and now my grandma's getting arthritis and can do even less around the house.

Now for the sake of the people living here and for my future lawn business I want to take on the task of overhauling the yard. In the process I will get the necessary tools (tight budget, thus necessary tools) and I should learn a lot from it. And then maybe my grandma can sell the place once it looks less ridiculous because it's way too big for the 3 of us. I figure if I can't get my grandma's place straight I have no business trying to straighten out other people's property.

It's just that I really have no idea where to start still. Maybe I need to sack up and just go at it with a machete, I don't know. But what I'd like to do is take some pictures of it all and see if I can get some pointers first, like maybe just what core tools would help me the most, or someone could say how they would tackle the property if they were hired to do it. I have some mental issues and feel overwhelmed easily but I know I can do it with some direction. It seems I'd benefit from browsing this forum in general, so would this forum be a good place to go to with that (a thread where I post pictures of this yard for tips on how to overhaul it)