Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-28-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quickbooks online VS Computer style

Hey there, I currently use Quickbooks 2007 on my windows computer. I need to upgrade to a new computer, and a newer version of quickbooks etc etc. Has anyone used the online version on quickbooks? How does it compare to the straight up computer version like what I have now? Can you do everything you can do on the regular quickbooks, on the online version? I am really interested in getting the online version if it checks out to be good. I would like to purchase a ipad to replace my computer being I only use my computer for billing and internet access. There is also a app for the ipad in which you can create invoices and estimates I believe out in the field and it syncs with the online quickbooks I do believe. Anyways I would just like someone who has used the quickbooks online and the regular quickbooks to let me know what they thought. Thanks a lot!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering this too.
PUSH MOWERS LAWN BOY AND TORO PROLINE
All STILH
ENCORE 8HP PUSH BLOWER
VERMEER 630B STUMP GRINDER
Old 04-29-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with the quickbooks that you put onto your computer, and now I have the online version, I like the online version much better, for a few different reasons.

1. The computer copy did not do as much. (im sure if i kept updating it it would have been fine)

2. I LOVE how you can access your quickbooks from any computer at all, whereas with the old version I could only use it on that one computer. I had a problem where my computer had to go and be fixed and it was gone for 2 weeks. I was lost without it and had to change all of my invoices and quotes and everything. and when i got my computer back, I was wayy behind and had to spend a good amount of time updating all of it. now if my computer breaks, i can use any computer to use it.

3. The initial purchase price isnt as much. This is also a downfall too because you have to keep paying every month instead of just once.

4. The online version is always the most up to date and current version of quickbooks
2002 F250 supercab 5.4
2005 Exmark 52" Lazer Z HP
2013 Gravely Pro-Turn 460
2004 Exmark Metro 48" Walkbehind
redmax and Husky blowers and trimmers
1990 John Deere small tractor
2012 8.5x18 with a 3' V Enclosed trailer
Old 04-29-2012, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

So you have since gone away from the computer software program, and are strickly all online now correct? Another question I had, I was in at Office Max last night and saw they had a box of some sort that said quickbooks online. Do you have to purchase anything in order to do the online version, or do you just go to there website and go from there? I assumed you would not need to buy anything and would just go to the website to get rolling, until I saw that box last night. Let me know
Old 04-29-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Member

just go to the website, you get to try it free for 30 days, i have the online version and the app on my iphone4, i create invoice as soon as i am done with a house. the online version that i pay for is like 27.00 a month its just me so i don't have to have payroll etc.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just tried the 30 day trial version. It's not going to work for us

We use this form http://www.qbalance.com/quickbooks_i...lope_forms.htm
Which I feel sets us apart from our competition. My invoices don't look plain Jane like you normally get with quickbooks. With the remmitance stub on the bottom we are able to include pre addressed small envelopes with our invoices to help aid in safe & quick return of our payments.

Online version does NOT support major changes to invoice forms and will not support any outside designs such as the one that I posted a link for above. I was REALLY looking forward to this as we use a older (2007) version that is outdated enought that I can't even use the online banking function.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I personally find the QB online easier to use. I pay for it though. QB online isnt cheap when you have all the add ons. Think my total bill to QB monthly is about $65 with payroll and CC. Running payroll, filing forms, and paying taxes is the easiest and makes up for the high monthly cost IMO.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawngurutampa View Post
I personally find the QB online easier to use. I pay for it though. QB online isnt cheap when you have all the add ons. Think my total bill to QB monthly is about $65 with payroll and CC. Running payroll, filing forms, and paying taxes is the easiest and makes up for the high monthly cost IMO.

yep its expensive, but i value it as much as any piece of equipment i have.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Being a geek I can't tell you how many times I've had people call with "Hey my computer won't boot" or "I have a virus" or other comments like that and they don't have a good backup. For this reason alone it seems online is better. In addition if you get a new computer you just login to the site and your done, no data to transfer, no software to install or keys to deal with.