Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 05-07-2012, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Hydro Walk 1754 engine needed

We have a 2006 Hydro walk 1754 mower, 1159 hrs and the 17hp Kawasaki engine has seen better days. We change oil/filter every 30 hrs, air filters every other OC and new spark plugs every yr, but I'm guessing 17hp on a 54" deck pulling a sulky with a 175lb operator has taken it's toll.
Now we'd like to repower it with a 20-27hp motor, I won't even think about another Kawasaki, but the question is wich is better, Honda, Kohler or the newer Briggs professional series engine?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

We only used Kawasaki engines on the WB's over the years.
I would make sure your getting a engine what will work with the clutch and current electrical system.

Pj
Old 05-08-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I know that Hustler only used Kawa power on these models(best WB ever made IMO) and the Kawa on ours has a 1" x 3 5/32" shaft with a 1" bore clutch, which leaves the door open to ANY engine with the same bolt circle and crank as we can wire up an electric start using hustler factory parts including the battery box that was on the electric start models.
What I am asking here as after all the testing which engine offers enough durability to serve in it's place. I know Hustler tests different engines and except for our WB hustlers(we have 3) our 272A has a Kohler, our Fastrack has a Honda and hustler offers a sport with the Briggs motor so,
I don't need specifics, which other brand works well in a ZT mower is more of the question.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpilgrim View Post
I know that Hustler only used Kawa power on these models(best WB ever made IMO) and the Kawa on ours has a 1" x 3 5/32" shaft with a 1" bore clutch, which leaves the door open to ANY engine with the same bolt circle and crank as we can wire up an electric start using hustler factory parts including the battery box that was on the electric start models.
What I am asking here as after all the testing which engine offers enough durability to serve in it's place. I know Hustler tests different engines and except for our WB hustlers(we have 3) our 272A has a Kohler, our Fastrack has a Honda and hustler offers a sport with the Briggs motor so,
I don't need specifics, which other brand works well in a ZT mower is more of the question.
We did not test any other engines on WB's, we have always used the Kawi's.

Pj