Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

post cards have been very effective. Think 5000 cards printed and mailed, with an address list I provide cost me around $1700
Old 05-13-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Where did you get the qddress list?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Forget Craig's list nothing but junk leads and lowballers get on Angie's list much higher quality leads from a higher clientale
Funny. I'm on Angie's List as a result of having advertised on Craigslist.
Good clients that I picked up from Craigslist (and who were apparently Angie's List members) recognized good work and gave me reviews without my knowledge.

That's how I got on Angie's List.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Play around with posting on Craigslist and you will find that you can easily post at least once a day. I think the quality of the leads depends on where you live. I have gotten many quality clients in upscale areas from it. Yes, there are people looking for something for nothing- but that is true with all advertising. Put together a professional ad that emphasizes the quality of your work- not price. You will weed out most of the crazies that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
Play around with posting on Craigslist and you will find that you can easily post at least once a day. I think the quality of the leads depends on where you live. I have gotten many quality clients in upscale areas from it. Yes, there are people looking for something for nothing- but that is true with all advertising. Put together a professional ad that emphasizes the quality of your work- not price. You will weed out most of the crazies that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Customer wanted me to do a grub treatment. He asked how much the bag of chemicles cost me to buy. I said 52 dollars. His next statement was asking if i would do the treatment for 50.00 dollars
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddseedd View Post
Customer wanted me to do a grub treatment. He asked how much the bag of chemicles cost me to buy. I said 52 dollars. His next statement was asking if i would do the treatment for 50.00 dollars
Posted via Mobile Device
You should never quote cost to the customer! always quote sell price not cost price. In this case for me that would have been $110

Last edited by cpllawncare; 05-13-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

[QUOTE=OakNut;4410023]Funny. I'm on Angie's List as a result of having advertised on Craigslist.
Good clients that I picked up from Craigslist (and who were apparently Angie's List members) recognized good work and gave me reviews without my knowledge.

That's how I got on Angie's List.

I tried Craig's list and got nothing but tire kickers and lowballers, just my experience, since joining Angie's list my business has tripled with high quality leads, again, just my experience.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info everybody! Craigslist hasn't worked too well in my area; Just minor quotes. I have done the post cards before, but only handed them out myself, not through the mail. I think I will definitely save money to get them through the mailing system.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

By the May 6 I put out 1,000 fliers. Got called to give 7 estimates. I picked up 3 lawns.

By May 11 got out another 200 fliers and did 2 more estimates.

I hope to get out another 800 fliers by May 18. If I pick up another 3 lawns I'll be happy.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Facebook

Use a website template service like Weebly to build/maintain/update your own website.

Angie's List has been good to me.... and a customer does NOT have to "put' you there or review you to get on it. That's false info. https://business.angieslist.com/default.aspx Once you are on Angie's List, you may have to do a bit of leg work (nothing major) to get reviews to come in (they give you some tools to do this, free)... I have 20 reviews and the exposure has been great.

Craigslist (at least around here) is the worst, most low-rent type of advertising- only scrub lawn guys fighting over who can do it lower.... I suggest staying away.

Quality work and referrals!!!!

Skip the phone book completely. Total waste of money (IMO) and the salespeople will HOUND you for years.

OH, and NEVER offer "free" cuts or reduced pricing. Next thing you know, word gets around and you're fighting to keep alive because all the discounts and eaten up your profits. Start offering "free" cuts and next you'll be figuring how much you have to mow additionally to make up those costs.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite

Tags
advertising , general liability , lawn biz coach