Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1251  
Old 05-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Sprinkus's Avatar
Sprinkus Sprinkus is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernon0112 View Post
I am about to start up a two wire system today. The cable company has been boring around it all winter and I have a good feeling that I will be seeing some of same you have here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Repairing two wires is so much easier than identifying and repairing bundles of 50-100 plus wires.
Reply With Quote
  #1252  
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 PM
DanaMac's Avatar
DanaMac DanaMac is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Somewhere in the state of CO
Posts: 13,047
Found this beauty last week. A few things make me think the husband of the house, who installed it, was an engineer. The husband passed away last year and the wife is unaware of how the system operates. With the funky wiring and attaching it to the wall of the box, PLUS there is a dedicated air compressor in the basement to blow out the system, AND everything in the house is labeled, all make me think he was some kind of engineer. Hard to tell the wife that the system is crap since her late hubby installed it. I might be able to retro the system with MPs and have it be somewhat better.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #1253  
Old 05-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Posts: 20,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Hard to tell the wife that the system is crap since her late hubby installed it. I might be able to retro the system with MPs and have it be somewhat better.
Good for you to try to c.s. the system. I'm an engineer, too, but I saw enough systems like that when I started out and never installed one that way. You might tell her, hubby did a nice wiring job.
Reply With Quote
  #1254  
Old 05-13-2012, 10:22 PM
DanaMac's Avatar
DanaMac DanaMac is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Somewhere in the state of CO
Posts: 13,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Good for you to try to c.s. the system. I'm an engineer, too, but I saw enough systems like that when I started out and never installed one that way. You might tell her, hubby did a nice wiring job.
Not sure what "c.s." means.
When a homeowner is an engineer in another field, and installs their own system, it is almost always crap. they either over-engineer it, or it is a completely laughable experience when I am there. I love it when the H.O. right away tells me he installed it himself, and he is an engineer. #1 - they are so proud of it. #2 - it's hard to keep in all my criticism.

Had an engineer H.O. last week trying to tell me how to test for voltage on a stuck valve, when I know well enough it is a diaphragm. Especially when I have the controller unplugged. He thought it needed a second signal to shut down the valve. It's not a latching solenoid.
Reply With Quote
  #1255  
Old 05-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Posts: 20,569
"c.s" = chickenshit
Reply With Quote
  #1256  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
Not sure what "c.s." means.
When a homeowner is an engineer in another field, and installs their own system, it is almost always crap. they either over-engineer it, or it is a completely laughable experience when I am there. I love it when the H.O. right away tells me he installed it himself, and he is an engineer. #1 - they are so proud of it. #2 - it's hard to keep in all my criticism.

Had an engineer H.O. last week trying to tell me how to test for voltage on a stuck valve, when I know well enough it is a diaphragm. Especially when I have the controller unplugged. He thought it needed a second signal to shut down the valve. It's not a latching solenoid.
You know, I bet I could rip your work to shreds if I wanted too, and place you into that very same category of amateur hack pretending to be a professional. Is it really necessary to rip some HO (and a dead one at that) and new one on a public forum? Of all the shallow petty bullshiit ........
Reply With Quote
  #1257  
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Mike Leary's Avatar
Mike Leary Mike Leary is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Posts: 20,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
You know, I bet I could rip your work to shreds if I wanted too, and place you into that very same category of amateur hack pretending to be a professional. Is it really necessary to rip some HO (and a dead one at that) and new one on a public forum? Of all the shallow petty bullshiit ........
Now now, it's getting to be beddy-by time, get your Buckner jammies on and hit the hay.
Reply With Quote
  #1258  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,632
As long as you can service the valves, it's all good.
Reply With Quote
  #1259  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 AM
DanaMac's Avatar
DanaMac DanaMac is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Somewhere in the state of CO
Posts: 13,047
I can only see your response because someone else quoted it. You have not seen this job to know what kind of a hack system it is. Only full circle headache, two 6 station home depot controllers, 2" heads, heads too far apart. I hope you see this before the mods pull it and send me to a time out. Go f*uck yourself K. You are the biggest azzhole on here. You are, as always, picking a fight for the sake of picking a fight. I know it, you know it, everyone knows it. Get over your yourself already.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #1260  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 AM
koster_irrigation koster_irrigation is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 1,355
I hope everyone had a good nights sleep last night!
__________________
NC Irrigation License 157

Since 1994
www.kosterirrigation.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:24 AM.

Page generated in 0.09749 seconds with 10 queries