Register free!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cracked Pump

I have a client who has a centrifugal pump that has a hairline crack in the priming bucket. The supplier it was purchased from is in the throes of bankruptcy so replacing just the priming bucket means dealing directly with the manufacturer. I am willing to do that, but was wondering if anyone has ever succesfully patched a crack like this?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can't say that I have ever heard of a Primer pot/leaf basket cracking unless maybe from abuse. Because of the flow rate and turbulence within the primer pot/leaf basket, I would be reluctant to even expect a patch that would last. You sound like you expect the manufacturer to replace it. These units normally carry only a 1 year warranty.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by headz77 View Post
I have a client who has a centrifugal pump that has a hairline crack in the priming bucket. The supplier it was purchased from is in the throes of bankruptcy so replacing just the priming bucket means dealing directly with the manufacturer. I am willing to do that, but was wondering if anyone has ever succesfully patched a crack like this?
it is unlikely that the mfgr. will replace the pvmp without proving an obvious mfgr. defect. i have seen welds on plastic and metal pumps BUT i doubt the cost difference is so great that a new pump would would not be advised. remember that if you repair or even suggest a repair that yov may be accepting responsability for a failure. is this customer worth the chance?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2012, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe it froze this winter. No, I dont expect it to be warrantied for that. I just have to deal with the manufacturer to buy the part.

Thanks for the feedback guys!