Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow havent heard that name in a long time! I had a M48 tank and it was ok Ive had several Dixies and they are great machines
Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess my only concern for the Dixie was that I heard the silver eagle (LT 2500) was a residential mower and the cub was commercial. It sounds like the Dixie brand is better quality but what do you think about the silver eagle line vs the tank line especially considering the tank is $1200 cheaper?
Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

MTD owns Cub Cadet and has since 1981. There for a few years Cub joined with Yanmar to have their SCUTs branded as a Cub Cadet/Yanmar. I *think* that Lesco built some of Cub Cadets branded commercial walk behinds, but I think the tank and such was cub built, which is owned by MTD.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not gonna bash another brand so bad like some on here do.
But, I have a Lesco 60" with a Kawasaki 25 and it's as good as any mower out there. It's made by Cub Cadet Commercial.
It's got all the same components (pumps and wheel motors) and a quality engine.
I was biased when I first got on here about 10 years ago because everyone bashed Lesco aka Cub Cadet Commercial.
Gotta realize there are a lot of people on this site and not everyone is informed.
My mower is the same as the Cub you're looking at except I have a bigger deck.

Just a side note.
I got my mower from a big landscaper that tries a lot of brands constantly.
He didn't like the cut so he sold it to me.
I ordered blades for it and discovered he put really narrow blades on it and he was right, it cut like crap.
When I put the correct 3" blades on it, it cut just like my Bob-Cats.
I've been using it commercially for 4-5 years now and haven't had to do anything other than routine maintenance on it.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One has to wonder why the Cub has had 2 owners so soon !
Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

All I run is M48's and Cub Commercial walk behinds. They get run hard day in and day out all day long, and mine all have more hours on them than competitors Gravely's, Scag's, Toro's, and eXmark's without any major failures.

Anyone that doubts a Tank has either run the cheap homeowner Cub models, or went into it with a biased view.

Expecially for that kind of a price difference, AS LONG AS it is an actual M48 and not a "Recon" or one of the other homeowner models, there is no question or doubt in my mind I'd buy the Tank.

Actually, where are you located and where is the machine? If you're not interested, I sure am!

'07 Dodge C/C; quadcab flatbed; Western 8.5 Pro;

'04 Dodge quadcab; Western 8.5 Pro Plus; Western wings; Boss TGS 1100; Ebling if I hit the lottery!

'06 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '11 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '10 Cub Cadet H1748 walkbehind; Stihl handhelds

'10 Timberwolf TW-5; '08 Kawasaki Teryx; for the firewood...conveyor in the works
Old 05-14-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_DeereGreen View Post
mine all have more hours on them than competitors Gravely's, Scag's, Toro's, and eXmark's without any major failures.
This is a huge claim. Is there any way for you to prove this? You do know that Dixie Choppers are famous for going well over 4,000 hours on a regular basis right?

Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
All I run is M48's and Cub Commercial walk behinds. They get run hard day in and day out all day long, and mine all have more hours on them than competitors Gravely's, Scag's, Toro's, and eXmark's without any major failures.

Anyone that doubts a Tank has either run the cheap homeowner Cub models, or went into it with a biased view.

Expecially for that kind of a price difference, AS LONG AS it is an actual M48 and not a "Recon" or one of the other homeowner models, there is no question or doubt in my mind I'd buy the Tank.

Actually, where are you located and where is the machine? If you're not interested, I sure am!
I would be interested also except it has a 48" deck.
I use 60's only and smaller 36 and 48 walkbehinds.
I do have a 52 or 54 Lesco widetrack with a Kawasaki 19, it doesn't get used much since I got my first Z several years ago.

One more thing for anyone reading this....
As long as we're comparing commercial mower to commercial mower, I don't think there are any really bad mowers out there.
Just differences that make one more suitable to a particular user.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I would never dought a mower that is capable of interstellar flight, let's get Envy in here to chime in on this.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Any idea if I would be able to get a grass catcher (or small grass collector off of discharge chute) with the m48?

Tags
better mower , chopper , cub cadet , dixie , tank