Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I remember some 40 years ago my dad smoking in the grocery store. He would just put it out on the floor! Cigarette butts everywhere on the floor. I even remember smoking in MickyD's back in the day. They use to have the small stamped out aluminum ash trays with the "M" in the middle. There's a place I drive by each week that is a smoke free property. The building and the closest place to be "off" the property so you can smoke is a good 300+ YARDS away. Talk about wasting time just to smoke a cigarette. Why even let them go off the property to smoke? Why not allow it in a area right outside the building? They're wasting so much money just for them to walk out and smoke.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smoke em if you got em............

Self employed for over 35 years..
Old 05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I chew everywhere. Whether it's on a deployment overseas, working at the fire department or maintaining a customers property. It doesn't matter to me. Mowing is a not a high class profession, therefore I do not care at all.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
You guys do realize that the client isn't the only one who is "watching", right?

Someone is ALWAYS watching.
my ONLY concern IS the client when I'm working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I remember some 40 years ago my dad smoking in the grocery store. He would just put it out on the floor! Cigarette butts everywhere on the floor. I even remember smoking in MickyD's back in the day. They use to have the small stamped out aluminum ash trays with the "M" in the middle. There's a place I drive by each week that is a smoke free property. The building and the closest place to be "off" the property so you can smoke is a good 300+ YARDS away. Talk about wasting time just to smoke a cigarette. Why even let them go off the property to smoke? Why not allow it in a area right outside the building? They're wasting so much money just for them to walk out and smoke.
how is it a waste of money. last time I checked smoke breaks where off the clock so it's not like the company is paying them to walk 300+ yards to go smoke.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I always have copehagen in....and i have yet to hear someone complain to me about it. I do all commercial so i really don't talk to many homeowners, BUT i think it would be un-heard of to tell someone they need to not chew on the job, unless they are being stupid about it spiting on sidewalks or doing it in a disrespectful mannor.

That would be like someone telling me i can't guide clients on a duck hunt if i can't chew.....yea thats out buddy

BTW Guiding is the best winter job!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post

how is it a waste of money. last time I checked smoke breaks where off the clock so it's not like the company is paying them to walk 300+ yards to go smoke.
Your logic is flawed.

Your client's neighbors are a resource that can help or hurt you.
And they are watching.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Tobacco

We currently allow only in the truck. Never while working for a client. I want to build my business so I do pay attention to the image we, as a company, portray even when the client isn't there. People watch - show professionalism -, it's a good thing.IMHO
Old 05-15-2012, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post

Because smokers typically take a whole lot more "breaks" than a normal non-smoker does. I see it all the time at the office I work in. The smokers leave to take a smoke break about once every couple hours. Even if it's unpaid, it's still a loss of productivity because they have to stop what they're doing to go smoke. Whether consciously or subconsciously, their mind is focused on that next smoke break and they aren't as productive.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

lol @ smokers. Weak minded vagrants.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 05-15-2012, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If he's the owner or supervisor and doesn't leave his truck then I would say it's ok. Would I let guys use dip on the job? No, but that's just me, I think it's unprofessional. Anyway, as long as he takes out the dip when dealing face to face with a customer... it's his mouth.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Closed Thread