Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2012, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Homeowner Help / Shed Pad

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but the homeowner forum seems to be all mower talk. I need to put a pad in for a shed - the shed I am contemplating is 12X12 so I plan on putting in say 15 X 15 pad (maybe a bit smaller).
Ideally I would like to use pavers - but I fear the weight might be too much?
Its not as though it vehicular traffic - just the weight of the shed and its contents. Would a 4" base of Crusher Run and 2" sand be sufficient? I am in SE NY state. My second alternative would be a crushed stone base boardered
by PT 4X4 's - but I want a level area so I can easily mow up to it. My last choice would be concrete - but I want to avoid that if possible. Any recommendations?

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchwork View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong forum but the homeowner forum seems to be all mower talk. I need to put a pad in for a shed - the shed I am contemplating is 12X12 so I plan on putting in say 15 X 15 pad (maybe a bit smaller).
Ideally I would like to use pavers - but I fear the weight might be too much?
Its not as though it vehicular traffic - just the weight of the shed and its contents. Would a 4" base of Crusher Run and 2" sand be sufficient? I am in SE NY state. My second alternative would be a crushed stone base boardered
by PT 4X4 's - but I want a level area so I can easily mow up to it. My last choice would be concrete - but I want to avoid that if possible. Any recommendations?

Thanks for your input.
If you're in NY, I wouldn't make the base any shallower than 6"-8". And you never use more than 1" of bedding sand. 2" would cause problems. You may already know this but the sand needs to be a coarse sand, they call it concrete sand down here, not just some random play sand you pick up at home depot.

If you use good quality pavers (again, not home depot), and your base is properly compacted, it should have no problem with the weight of the shed. There are other guys on here with a lot more experience than me, so maybe they'll chime in with more advice. Hope this helps.

"Without purpose ... goals, ambitions, and dreams aren't worth the paper they're written on. Without direction, a business plan, no matter how carefully written, is simply a bunch of words ruining a perfectly good blank sheet of paper."
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

why pavers and not concrete?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
why pavers and not concrete?
Fear of the unknown? I have atleast done a small landing for stairs out of pavers so I have a minimal amount of experience with that and feel I can handle a square pad for a shed. While concrete might make the best pad - I have no experience (ie..how deep I must go / what material to use for a base/
how to build a good form to prevent a blowout before the concrete sets etc make this the least desirable choice - for me that is.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is this base going to be the floor of the shed or are you buying a pre-fab shed with a plywood floor and having it deivered? I'm a little confused. If it's the floor of the shed go with a concrete slab and if it's just a pre-fab crushed stone is fine. Pavers for either a shed floor or the base under a pre-fab is a little odd in my opinion.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do either a gravel pad or a concrete pad. Dont waste money on pavers. You'll nvr see them. Keep it simple, you're not the first one in NY with a shed
Posted via Mobile Device