Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor-cut View Post
no one wants to see those big ruts! So we had to re grade the lawns.
The mowers I use do not make ruts unless the ground is soaked. I guess I'm lucky?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

it doesn't kill the grass and it doesn't always rut the turf either.

I've cut some properties the same way for seasons at a time with nothing but beautiful results.

but on the flip side I've had a few places where I had to switch to a 21 incher because it was starting to rut. you know those hell strips you can't mow in any other direction.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
no one wants to see those big ruts! So we had to re grade the lawns.

Ruts in soft ground makes sense.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Just picked up 3 commercial properties where i have to regrade the old grass/ dirt and Re-sod Since the past guy cut in the same direction for 28+ weeks straight!

I HATE WHEN I SEE GUYS DOING THAT!!!

yes the stripes look like Tiger Stadium but c'mon!
Drives me nuts too. I know what you're talking about. They do it because they're cutting a semi steep bank/hill/ditch line. It could be done in other ways but would take longer. So after a year or two depending on how steep the grade is, they've slowly carved ruts down to the dirt and have left bare dirt in long wiggly lines. I see places all the time with stuff like that. Every time I see it, I want to take a pic and post it in a how NOT to cut grass thread.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Drives me nuts too. I know what you're talking about. They do it because they're cutting a semi steep bank/hill/ditch line. It could be done in other ways but would take longer. So after a year or two depending on how steep the grade is, they've slowly carved ruts down to the dirt and have left bare dirt in long wiggly lines. I see places all the time with stuff like that. Every time I see it, I want to take a pic and post it in a how NOT to cut grass thread.
Hmmm......... While it may look bad, some locations you will have NO choice if you want to cut the grass and be alive to tell about it. There are some Landscape architects that should be kicked right square in the n*t$. It is sad, but none of the morons who design the final grading on some of these locations have the brains that God gave a rock.

I have a Lowes that is so steep, it can only be cut one way and that is back and forth. Up and down will not work. If there is even a hint of moisture present, the slope might as well be covered in 10/40 motor oil. While we do not have the bare ruts on it that we are talking about, it is only because I will let this bank sit and only cut it when it is dry. No injury or death of a worker is worth having pretty grass. End of story!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog1 View Post
Hmmm......... While it may look bad, some locations you will have NO choice if you want to cut the grass and be alive to tell about it. There are some Landscape architects that should be kicked right square in the n*t$. It is sad, but none of the morons who design the final grading on some of these locations have the brains that God gave a rock.

I have a Lowes that is so steep, it can only be cut one way and that is back and forth. Up and down will not work. If there is even a hint of moisture present, the slope might as well be covered in 10/40 motor oil. While we do not have the bare ruts on it that we are talking about, it is only because I will let this bank sit and only cut it when it is dry. No injury or death of a worker is worth having pretty grass. End of story!

In those situations. I move the stripes 50% about once a month. You may have to cut one more stripe as you are 50% off, but you move your tires half way over on the next stripe and it helps prevent the ruts.

Also, those of you who mow the same way every time. Try mowing it the other way once, you will feel the ruts. Do you ever notice how on gravel driveways there is no grass where the tires go but grass in the middle of the driveway? That is because the weight of the vehicle tires kill the grass.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post
In those situations. I move the stripes 50% about once a month. You may have to cut one more stripe as you are 50% off, but you move your tires half way over on the next stripe and it helps prevent the ruts.

Also, those of you who mow the same way every time. Try mowing it the other way once, you will feel the ruts. Do you ever notice how on gravel driveways there is no grass where the tires go but grass in the middle of the driveway? That is because the weight of the vehicle tires kill the grass.
There aren't any ruts. There's no other way to say it. If there were I'd cut them differently. There aren't.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Right but those who don't like it can always come in and underbid someone else's already rock-bottom dollar price and show the rest of us how it's done better for less because no sooner they start contemplating how many hours of work for 60 dollars best case scenario they'll be doing ruts before long too, lets not forget that most of us aren't getting 50 thousand a year for 4 hours of actual work lol
Old 05-15-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

another tip.... show up and take notes.... find out EXACTLY what the client wants, and make sure you go over your notes after you talk. Get feedback after the 1st mowing and everyone few mowings afterwards ask if everything is still going good... and never ASSUME, you know what assuming will get you!

I know an LCO that mowed a a commercial account all season and lost it at the end of the year because he never went back in to find out if there was anything else the client wanted added or changed throughout the year. The clients attitude was the LCO should come to me to find out what I want, I shouldn't have to him. Remember, the customer is "always" right.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post

nope can't say I've ever seen a gravel driveway with grass in it at all.

my grandpa has a few weeds in his gravel driveway but that's about it.