Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
Had a chance to get to this house right after my guys were done mowing. We installed some rocks under the deck and mulched the beds.
2 tons of 1/2" river brown rocks that were hand leveled on our knees under the deck. Not a fun job!!!
I missed this whenever you first posted it, but those are some real nice stripes.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copacabana View Post
I want to be a landscape installation only company. I want to have two four men crews working 5 days a week doing hardscaping, plant installation, irrigation work, sod, grading, etc, and all the seasonal stuff (mulch, aeration, seeding, leaf removal, etc). I personally don't see any "retirement money" in lawn mowing.
I agree with that 100%. There's and old saying around here ....mowing lawns pays bills, installing landscapes buys trucks.... I have been thinking about this alot lately but I love mowing honestly and our customers usually gets us to do maintenance on our installs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnpropm View Post
I agree with that 100%. There's and old saying around here ....mowing lawns pays bills, installing landscapes buys trucks.... I have been thinking about this alot lately but I love mowing honestly and our customers usually gets us to do maintenance on our installs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, I agree with that saying! The problem with becoming an Installation only company is that it requires a whole lot more advertisement and you got to make sure every job you do gets you a couple of referrals (which you should do no matter what business you're in). I think the way to becoming a successful landscaping company starts with maintenance but at some point in the near future you got to be doing more jobs than mowing to actually be able to get money out and invest in building a "secure" future for your family.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
I missed this whenever you first posted it, but those are some real nice stripes.
Thank you! I need to go out sometime with the mowing crew and take some pictures for you guys. After the spring fever ends, I'll do that.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This guy i met here in my town. He is landscaping company only. Back when he bought the company it was a commercial company that had 15 ZTR's. But he got sick of employees sold all of his equipment and contracts. He works by himself. He does amazing work. Best ive ever seen literally! Great guy to work with.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice dump trailer!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb195 View Post
This guy i met here in my town. He is landscaping company only. Back when he bought the company it was a commercial company that had 15 ZTR's. But he got sick of employees sold all of his equipment and contracts. He works by himself. He does amazing work. Best ive ever seen literally! Great guy to work with.
Not to jump on you but the person you speak of must not have any idea how to run a business. I dont dought he does great work but When you work by yourself for yourself all you have done is created a job for you not a business. Every one has employee problems but its part of running a business. You have to have employees to grow, you can only do somuch work by yourself.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 05-16-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahb195 View Post
I think he wasted a lot of money purchasing a large commercial maintenance business if he doesn't like or wants to deal with bad or unreliable employees. In my case, I want to make more money and grow the company as an installation only. I want more employees, more equipment and such as we get more installations. I just don't like the amount of time and cost that mowing grass takes for the small return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
Nice dump trailer!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old oak lawn View Post
Not to jump on you but the person you speak of must not have any idea how to run a business. I dont dought he does great work but When you work by yourself for yourself all you have done is created a job for you not a business. Every one has employee problems but its part of running a business. You have to have employees to grow, you can only do somuch work by yourself.
I agree! Business is all about vision. If you want to stay small and work yourself out, thats no problem. In the landscaping industry, you can't make a whole lot of money working alone.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old oak lawn View Post
Yep your right im wrong. See the work and high quality jobs he does you'll see it differently. But im wrong. Of course
Old 05-17-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

After months of having my guys asking for a "big" blower I finally decided to buy them one. We have many properties that can benefit from having a walk behind blower like this.

I also got us a HS45 Stihl hedge trimmer with the oversized blade and an Echo PPT-266 Power pruner 13.2ft reach. My die hard Stihl fan sales guy, told me that the echo was a much better unit, hopefully I won't have much problems with it. We did 6 hours of none stop pruning with both the echo and the Stihl today and I noticed that the Echo is more economical than our Stihl HT100 pole pruner.
Attached Images