Register free!

Old 05-16-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do offer my customer a 5 year warranty on installation, I know someone around my area saying lifetime warranty and 10 year warranty, when a prospect customer tells me about this other companies my reply is usually, well I offer a 5 year warranty cause I can take you to previous projects that have being there for that period of time and still looking almost like the day it was installed, (actually have some jobs dated back 10 years but usually all of those are small) can the other contractor offering such a long warranty show you any work older than 3 years, I know their claims but also know they haven't been around for more than that.
On a side note most paver manufactures, will still honor their warranty if the pavers are laid on top of concrete following their guidelines.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just had my mason yard get me a copy of the guidelines. Picking them up tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I just had my mason yard get me a copy of the guidelines. Picking them up tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Guidelines? Whatcha mean?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 11:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to be picking but I saw in a earlier post Do you lay your soilder course first in a bed of mortar? If so do you pack your pavers after you lay them? Does your base extend past paver edge? Also no rolls of geo fabric laying around?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Icpi stuff

Yes i lay them in mortar then after thay are set i pack some mortar on the outside.

The base is contained within the footing.

Just recently learned about geo fabric. Havent used it yet tho
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're in a freeze climate - you may wanna not lay the border on mortar. Your footing would have to be down to the frost line for it to be effective. Which here where I'm at is 32" deep!

We redid the entry to a paver driveway done by others last year where the contractor does a concrete edge restraint. It has shifted all over the place and was more difficult to correct. It gave the opportunity to see first hand the negative drawback of using concrete to restrain pavers.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I offer a 5 year warranty, but not including problems from subsurface settling.

I once had a boss explain to me that a carpet layer isn't at fault, if you fall through your living room floor. It would be the carpenters fault for a substandard subfloor.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 05-18-2012, 05:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
I offer a 5 year warranty, but not including problems from subsurface settling.

I once had a boss explain to me that a carpet layer isn't at fault, if you fall through your living room floor. It would be the carpenters fault for a substandard subfloor.
But chances are that if you are laying the pavers then you installed subfloor correct? I would understand no warranty if base is prepared for you
Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well this particular situation is an in ground pool. So unless i excavate the pool, backfill and compact it in 6" lifts how can i warranty that it will not settle? I like that idea birchwood
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well, not so sure about the carpet and flooring analogy. Carpet isn't prone to being installed on a ghost floor.

In the construction world there are often multiple others involved in construction projects. Communication is key. In all reality it's unlikely the paver guy will ever backfill and compact a new pool.
I'm not saying it'll never happen, but it's unlikely.

Next is the pool installer most likely won't even communicate the necessity of proper backfill and compaction to their subs. In my area I only know of ONE pool contractor that actually is on site every minute of the time that their subs are on site.

If you want the work and don't wanna be liable for settlement - you must communicate appropriately, and you can't play hardball or you won't see the job. A
Veteran contractor like me, who knows how to gets results will snatch it right up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 05-18-2012 at 10:30 AM.