Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-16-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
I have the kawasaki KTFR27A. I bought it about a month ago and use it for light commercial work (Only 11 accounts part time) and it's great. I went with it because it was one of the lightest trimmers but still had decent power. I do very little if any "brush" trimming, only basic trimming of grass around obstacles. I put a speedfeed head (375 model) on mine and it's awesome. I was on the fence between the FS55 and the Kawasaki. I ended up getting the Kawasaki for $190 because it was their display model (it had never been used, just open box).

Thank you for the model-specific info, as this is one of the trimmers on my short list. How was the head that came stock on it? Also, what swayed you to the Kawa versus the Stihl FS55?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamorris2 View Post
Thank you for the model-specific info, as this is one of the trimmers on my short list. How was the head that came stock on it? Also, what swayed you to the Kawa versus the Stihl FS55?
The stock head was fine. I just heard all the hype about the speedfeed head and for less than $40 shipped, I figured I would give it a try. THE HYPE IS TRUE! That speedfeed head is awesome! I can respool it in less than a minute. It also seems to run a little smoother with it.

I ended up getting the Kawasaki for $40 cheaper than the Stihl and it was about a half pound lighter than the Stihl. I wanted something light weight. I also heard that the Stihl gas caps were a pain in the ass. Ironically though, I bought a Stihl FC90 edger last week (scored it for $210 off craigslist practically brand new) so we'll see how the gas caps work out on it.

My only complaint with the Kawasaki was when I first got it, it seemed to take a while to warm up and would bog down if I gave it full throttle while it was warming up. I had to feather the throttle during warm up and gradually get it up to WOT. After a few tanks of gas through it, warm up time has gotten a lot faster and it doesn't bog down anymore at startup. I think it just needed to break in. BTW I also pulled the spark arrestor screen off of it first thing so I don't have to worry about cleaning it in the future. It's held on by a phillips head screw.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I went down to a local shop. After talking with the guys there, I walked out with the Kawi. They said that it's a little sluggish until broken in, but otherwise a very solid machine for homeowner use. They said that when used commercially, the clutch and gearhead goes out, but clutch is $30 and Echo gearheads fit. But said that I really shouldn't have any issues at all for many years only using it for my home.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Echo srm225 or husky223
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

There's no consensus on this forum about which brand of 2-stroke equipment is the best, even though the topic had been debated to death - if you don't already have a favorite brand, my advice is to choose the most reputable dealer in your area and buy whichever brand he carries. If you're willing to part with $300 instead of $200, get a commercial-grade model - it'll have lots of power, enable you to get the job done quicker, and probably last forever under home use.

Edit - I just noticed you already bought a machine - looks like you made a good pick for your situation. You did the right thing going to a dealer and asking for advice; a box store woulda sold you a cheap plastic throwaway.

Last edited by Triplex; 05-17-2012 at 11:49 PM.