Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-18-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Took ownership of a Hustler Fastrak 54" today

All I can say is WOW. I do not have experience with other ZTRs and this is the first one I have owned, but it just totally smokes my LT. I should have made the investment years ago. What would have taken an hour to cut due to excess height took no more than 20 mins. No clumps, fantastic discharge and dispersal of blades (no mulch kit, just factory blades and side discharge) and great cut. I was almost pissed that I finished so quickly, the remainder of the property was cut Wed, so another cut on Sunday is in line.

For anyone thinking about getting a zero turn to replace their LT, I say find a way to make it work if money is an issue. I got in tighter to trees and other areas than my LT. I will be honest, I was shakey for the first 5 mins, I am sure one or two of the neighbors enjoyed a good laugh.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's Cool! You've gotten me excited! I'm reaching for the keys now! How about some pictures!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats! And yes.....some pictures!
Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. Here are a few. Didn't get a chance to snap any of the grass, my daughter came home right when I finished and I ended up playing in the backyard with her. One thing is I got a pretty good headache. Used my Stihl earmuffs which generally work great, may supplement with disposable inserts as well for the next cut as this motor is louder than my LT.
Here are some in the garage. My shed doors are only 48 inches now, so have to make new doors and open the walls of the shed a bit this weekend. So far the wife isn't upset her car was replaced with the mower in the garage, but that will not last long.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Very nice! I just bought a 48" Sport a few weeks ago. I find myself watching the grass for any signs that it's "getting long" just so I can go out and cut it.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage55 View Post
Very nice! I just bought a 48" Sport a few weeks ago. I find myself watching the grass for any signs that it's "getting long" just so I can go out and cut it.
LOL. I was just outside and looked at what I cut, hoping that maybe it all grew back overnight so I could cut again today
Old 05-20-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87SS View Post
LOL. I was just outside and looked at what I cut, hoping that maybe it all grew back overnight so I could cut again today
Cut it anyway, lay some stripes in Enjoy your 54, I have a SD 42" and it is always a pleasure to go out and mow.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 05-20-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Good point. Did front and back today. Crap, can't believe how much quicker it gets done. I wish I had another acre or so so I could enjoy it more. Next house will have more property.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congrats! Great choice it will last you for many years to come. Z's definitely make it "fun" to mow your yard
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwost View Post
Congrats! Great choice it will last you for many years to come. Z's definitely make it "fun" to mow your yard
Thanks. I am already thinking of accessories. Probably make a striper for it. I also need to do a little reading up on a controllable chute. Since I do not have the mulch kit, it would be nice to be able to control the blades from shooting into mulch beds. It is minimal since I make sure I cut away from the beds, but I did make 1-2 turns where the beds got blasted for a second or two.