Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
Hi Steve. The one weakness in this perimeter security lighting system that leaps out at me is how it would be wired up and connected. With exposed wiring threaded through or along the perimeter fence, it would be pretty easy for anyone to simply clip the wire, shutting the security lighting down. Doing so at the beginning of the circuit would disable the entire perimeter.

Perhaps you guys could come up with some sort of armored cable system for this application? (I am thinking of BX interior wire, or tek cable for exterior applications, combined with a permanent connection such as LightingShrink, Buchanan Crimps or even ACE connectors.)

Kudos to CAST for the Award.
The exposed wiring may seem to be a concern, but if you look at how security fences are constructed you'll see that it's nearly impossible to get hands and cutting tools in position to cut the wires. Horizontal and vertical pipes are inside the chain link - you can't get a cutting tool through the links to cut a wire that's been secured to the back of the pipe (we've tried it). In regions where the wire may be accessible, metal or PVC conduit can be used and attached to the unit's junction box.

stevep@voltlighting.com

Outdoor Lighting and LED Light Bulbs from VOLT®.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
Hi Steve. The one weakness in this perimeter security lighting system that leaps out at me is how it would be wired up and connected. With exposed wiring threaded through or along the perimeter fence, it would be pretty easy for anyone to simply clip the wire, shutting the security lighting down. Doing so at the beginning of the circuit would disable the entire perimeter.

Perhaps you guys could come up with some sort of armored cable system for this application? (I am thinking of BX interior wire, or tek cable for exterior applications, combined with a permanent connection such as LightingShrink, Buchanan Crimps or even ACE connectors.)

Kudos to CAST for the Award.
I think this statement is somewhat "grasping at straws" to find an issue with the system. Everyone knows that if potential thieves want it, they will most likely get it.

I am sure one of your selling points to ALL of your own lighting customers is security right? Do you hide your transformers? Even if you lock the transformer they can easily be unplugged. Any good thief could cut the wire in the ground also.

The point is to use light to deter any thief and send them down the road to the next one.

I am not trying to be hard on you, but your comment just struck me the wrong way. Let CAST take and enjoy a great achievement for once! LOL

I am very interested in the perimeter system to help expand the viewing distance of our security cameras. This will make a great project for the guys on a rainy or slow day.