Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM
williams lcm williams lcm is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: orlando fl
Posts: 812
St. Augustine, edging and cutting it high

I have been cutting my St. Augustine at a healthy 4.5 inches. I have to put a brand new edger blade on and feather the edger up and down to cut a clean edge. It looks like a thick carpet and when I blow out the edge I make sure it is a nice deep groove. It makes the grass look so deep and thick from the roadway. I think next week I might try cutting it a little higher. Maybe 4 3/4 or 5 inches. Or even cut it in transport mode. It gives it a unique look and all the neighbors want to know how to get that look. I can get some stripes out of it. Anyone want to share some pictures of your St.augustine lawns cut 4.5 or higher? I know some people think it is just crazy to cut it that high but it give a different looking lawn than cutting 4 inches or below. Please share your pictures. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
I think it looks good here too but most people want it around 3.5
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,196
Depends on cultivar. Floratam needs to be cut high, but I don't think I've ever cut it at 5". Seville can get cut shorter and looks great that way. The thing I don't like about floratam is it never gets thick enough to choke out weeds so cutting high is a must. Seville on the other hand gets nice and tight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Our turf Guru in Texas recommends 2~3 inches in full sun and 3~4 in shade. We typically mow at 3" every 7 days.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-20-2012, 01:57 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Our turf Guru in Texas recommends 2~3 inches in full sun and 3~4 in shade. We typically mow at 3" every 7 days.
3" is way too short for floratam. That needs to be cut at 4" minimum. Seville can be cut at 3", but I like 3.25"
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
3" is way too short for floratam. That needs to be cut at 4" minimum. Seville can be cut at 3", but I like 3.25"
Posted via Mobile Device

I am ignorant about St Augustine varities. Over the years there have been many installed. Palmetto seems to be one of the popular ones from the farms these days.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Florida Gardener's Avatar
Florida Gardener Florida Gardener is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Humid S. Fl. with sights set on San Diego
Posts: 5,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I am ignorant about St Augustine varities. Over the years there have been many installed. Palmetto seems to be one of the popular ones from the farms these days.
It's the most common turf in Florida. It's not my fave tho
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
It's the most common turf in Florida. It's not my fave tho
Posted via Mobile Device
It is the second most common here behind bermuda.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:02 PM
mjlcare2's Avatar
mjlcare2 mjlcare2 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
I have been cutting my St. Augustine at a healthy 4.5 inches. I have to put a brand new edger blade on and feather the edger up and down to cut a clean edge. It looks like a thick carpet and when I blow out the edge I make sure it is a nice deep groove. It makes the grass look so deep and thick from the roadway. I think next week I might try cutting it a little higher. Maybe 4 3/4 or 5 inches. Or even cut it in transport mode. It gives it a unique look and all the neighbors want to know how to get that look. I can get some stripes out of it. Anyone want to share some pictures of your St.augustine lawns cut 4.5 or higher? I know some people think it is just crazy to cut it that high but it give a different looking lawn than cutting 4 inches or below. Please share your pictures. Thanks
Can you post some pics? We cut Floratam at 3.75-4 .. usually nothing over unless needed.. our yards seem to thrive at that height. As thick and tight as their fert/pest budget will allow.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,796
4" I don't think any mower is going to stand grass up to cut at transport height. I have a hard enough time convincing people short is bad.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Page generated in 0.06894 seconds with 10 queries