Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

SumaGrow anybody use it?

I have been offered a great opportunity to use a new organic product to replace fertilizer for lawns. It is called SumaGrow. It conatins 30 microbes to enrich the soil. Does anyone use this? Can this really replace fertilizer? What things should I be concerned about?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Yes the SumaGreen Turf has been looking very good so far. It seems to be holding the color really good on the lawns though I am still running tests. What kind of grass are you putting the SumaGreen Turf on? I have talked to guys that have used it on Fescue and Bermuda grass so far and they love it.
So far no real concerns with the product and still used a little fertilizer on a few of my clients to Green them up faster but outside of being cheaper then fertilizer with the way prices are so far no much to complain about.

Did you buy it from the website or did you call them? I would call them as you will get a better LCO price which knocks the price down of course. Please keep us posted on your progress
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The microbial activity will only work to green up only if adequate organic matter is present.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
The microbial activity will only work to green up only if adequate organic matter is present.
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually they sent me a report from a Athletic field showing all the nutrients went up in the soil. The SumaGreen Turf is suppose to be adding nutrients into the soil. I actually was thinking of doing a soil test before and after but just got rushed with treating the lawns this year with the weather.
I was thinking if I added more of the SG Turf to the turf without the use of fertilizers I may see the Green Up period quicker anyway. Did not want to take the chance with my existing client base though. I did use it on my yard and it seems to be greening up by itself but it is hard to tell with as much traffic as my lawn gets.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

We were impressed with the amount of research behind this product & are adding it to our line.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm using it and it's doing ok so far. My test yards are doing well but my pasture grass is not doing what I thought it would, still on day 10 from the first application so I may be jumping the gun. I'm getting lots of interest around here about it...
Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Mountain - What kind of grass are you using it on? I am seeing some nice color on the lawns that I used it on with no fertilizer but I did use it on a few lawns with some fertilizer (1/8 pound). they told me that I may not seeing greening up until the 2nd or 3rd treatment but once it greened it would be able to keep the color pretty good. If it did look like it was fading they told me to just increase the amount another oz per treatment.

I am guessing the pasture grass is probably the same thing since they are both grasses where it may not get moving until a few weeks. Not sure though.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I will be using it on cool season grasses like Bluegrass, Turf Type tall Fescue, and Perennial Rye. My concerns are the extra labor for employees to mix with possible errors, mixing and storing when temps are below feezing, and the cost of having to add liquid crabgrass control, etc. Also, can microbes really replace nitrogen and potassium?
Old 05-21-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Gview- Looks like the answer maybe yes to replacing the Nitrogen and Potassium as the lawns I am using the SumaGreen Turf on are looking very good. Very pleased so far with the results and waiting on what kind of difference it will have on later treatments or even more the dry hot weather we usually get (DROUGHT!)

Has anyone else noticed an increase in bagging. I use both styles of mowers in this area and I only have 10 lawns that really want the grass bagged as they use it for their gardens when I am done. I have noticed a slight increase in the amount of grass getting bagged on a few lawns which never took more then one (Front yard)

Anyone else?
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Member

sumagrow - scam

sumagrow is nothing more than glorified humic acid. You can get similar results just by using pH adjusted Humic acid alone. There are literally 100s of peer reviewed publications which talk about beneficial effects of humic acid alone. I am pretty sure most of the microbes are dead with in the first month or two. Looks more like a pyramid scheme.