Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I might agree with the benefits of legumes to some lawns, but in my experience, customers like the idea, but dislike the result. I don't seed standard clovers -- they're too non-uniform. After the first season, they segregate into patches and customers don't like non-uniform patches of flowering clovers.

The big national lawn care companies have been using dearf non-flowering clovers for years and they seem to be doing well in the accounts that want them. But, I've lost customers over clover damage while trying to kill other weeds. To hear the customer tell it, they want the clover with the white flowers (white clover), but don't want the one with the yellow flowers (yellow woodsorrel) -- and they think they should get it controlled WITHOUT a spot of damage to the desirable clover.

Over many years, no amount of customer education or setting proper expectations has been able to overcome their objections to clover management. All the clover clients I've seen in my entire career have either quit maintaining their lawns, or simply had the clover removed like a weed.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My earth friendly daughter planted clover in her lawn--lots of white bloom for a couple of weeks. Remember as a legume it adds about a pound of nitrogen per year to the grass.

I read online you can also use black medic for this purpose. No white flowers, but tiny yellow flowers. An annual, but it self-seeds fairly well.

I have not tried this myself...but maybe I should.
Thinking.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 05-21-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: ps

Tags
broadleaf , clover , herbicide