Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim-
Isn't there a formula that you irrigation gurus use on pipe size reduction to maintain a certain psi. I know on long runs the pipe size must be reduced periodically.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Jim-
Isn't there a formula that you irrigation gurus use on pipe size reduction to maintain a certain psi. I know on long runs the pipe size must be reduced periodically.

Any good plumbing or irrigation Book will have FRICTION LOSS CHARTS FOR PIPE. Google FRICTION LOSS CHART FOR PIPE OR HOSE ETC. Hose will have more friction loss because it has more twists and turns etc.

As a one time Irrigation contractor I started sizing Pipe from the Farthermost point. As I came closer to my water source the Pipe size increased because I had more sprinklers on the line. The point of reducing pipe size is economic if you don't need 400 GPM at the far end.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Any good plumbing or irrigation Book will have FRICTION LOSS CHARTS FOR PIPE. Google FRICTION LOSS CHART FOR PIPE OR HOSE ETC. Hose will have more friction loss because it has more twists and turns etc.

As a one time Irrigation contractor I started sizing Pipe from the Farthermost point. As I came closer to my water source the Pipe size increased because I had more sprinklers on the line. The point of reducing pipe size is economic if you don't need 400 GPM at the far end.

Thanks Ric, but friction loss is not what I am referring to, although it may influence the answer.
An example of what I am wanting to be able to determine in future projects:
You have a 1" ID pipe through which is passing water at the rate of 500 gph at a pressure of 30 PSI. You reduce the pipe size to 3/4". What is the new PSI? What is the formula for arriving at this answer?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Thanks Ric, but friction loss is not what I am referring to, although it may influence the answer.
An example of what I am wanting to be able to determine in future projects:
You have a 1" ID pipe through which is passing water at the rate of 500 gph at a pressure of 30 PSI. You reduce the pipe size to 3/4". What is the new PSI? What is the formula for arriving at this answer?
There are Fountain pumps and there are transfer pump. Fountain Pumps will produce more pressure and less volume. The Manufacture should have pressure and spray height data on their website. Along with nozzles and light kits etc

My main point being, it is the type of pump that is the important factor. Only other thing I can tell you is Trail & Error on the pumps you are now using.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
There are Fountain pumps and there are transfer pump. Fountain Pumps will produce more pressure and less volume. The Manufacture should have pressure and spray height data on their website. Along with nozzles and light kits etc

My main point being, it is the type of pump that is the important factor. Only other thing I can tell you is Trail & Error on the pumps you are now using.

All that I have found is what they call "feet of head pressure" which is listed under the various nozzle types to determine height of spray/plume or height and throw. Someone has to know how to convert this to PSI.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry I can't help you. I can only suggest to contact a Fountain pump manufacturer's technical dept and see if they can give to a formula.