Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-21-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's kind of sad that there aren't more LCO's discussing this in this thread or even in the professional threads. There are a few, but for the most part it's just some property owners and then lots of people (at this point over 7000 views) that are reading this particular thread. But, this is the busy time of year for LCOs so it's understandable that they won't discuss much on here especially when they don't know anymore than homeowners do about Dupont's responses and outcomes. I do hope more LCOs fill us in here when they do receive any updates.

At this point, I'm probably reading and studying all the same things the law firms are. I keep up to date with the dockets filed in the class action too. Cindy, I hipe you're able to keep us posted with that Michigan case too. Years ago this kind of information would have been much more difficult to access so quickly without the web. As one attorney said, you're doing a lot of the work we do and if you get tired you can hire us. At this point, I'm still holding out to at least get an offer, then I'll reassess whether I'll take this to court. At least I'll be able to show a jury that I tried to be very reasonable with Dupont and was willing to try their resolution process.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would hope the LCO's would be happy to report that their customers have been taken care of and are satisfied. Maybe they just don't read this section.

Quote:
Jerry Richart of Troy, 65, a photographer, said he received a $3,000 offer from DuPont to treat his 12 trees.

Instead of removing them, the company wants to see if the trees can recover. If the trees don't recover by Dec. 31, 2013, then DuPont will pay what is "reasonable" to remove and replace them, Richart said, quoting the offer.
That isn't going to happen here.

Quote:
Angus Sutherland, 78, of Lodi Township, a retired school principal and one of Underwood's customers, said, "It's out of our hands. We have to wait for them."
Just sad.

Quote:
DuPont spokeswoman Kate Childress said in an e-mail Thursday to the Free Press that "we're working as quickly as possible to process claims."

"Since this is a property-specific evaluation, it is a complex process and it takes time to do it fairly and accurately," she said. "DuPont has more than 200 people working on the claims of property owners."
Hire more people and that has nothing to do with compensation that property owners have agreed to.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I confirmed with Dupont rep that we will have to reject their first offer if we want any kind of guarantee of a timely payment. When I pointed out that Dupont could take as long as they want to pay if someone approves the first offer and therefore that kind of 'settlement' is almost worthless, they said "then you'll have to reject the offer and send back to us you're requirements for settlement. They will either send you a new offer or they may even send the same offer; we have no way of knowing. We (the resolution customer service number) can't see the offer they give you." When I asked them if we receive a claim offer is their someone in the claims department we'll be able to actually speak with about the claim? they said, "no, you can only call to this same number, but we won't be able to see the offer details." Therefore, all communications with them regarding the claim details, your demands and so forth can only come to them through the mail since it's legal documents.

When I addressed the waste of time this causes that I can't send them specific demands before receiving the first offer (such as making sure the first offer, in order to even be considered by me, has a time limit of how long they have to compensate me in full), they said "you'll just have to reject the first offer because that's the way the first offer is." In other words, Dupont is sending out these first offers, which seem to have no legally binding time limit for compensation, in order to see who are the easy ones and who bites (caves), then they deal with the rejections with counteroffers. Now, maybe those who have received an offer can respond here whether the offer really doesn't have any time frame of payment in case what I was told by the rep was not accurate.

On a happier note, when I asked them if any property owner had actually received their compensation check, they said yes some have. But, I will never sign away my right to file suit without a guarantee of a timely payment (within 60 days maximum). But, that's just me. Maybe some people trust them blindly. I don't.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Morning. Been sending out some invites to this thread.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Hello Cindy and Starbuy. Still waiting also. Not a word here in Wayne county.
Did call Dupont again on Friday and still in the final stages. We are in such a tough spot right now and would like to list our house for sale but with the trees dying all 54 of them how do you attract anyone to look at your home? I plan to call Dupont again today to see if I can reach someone other then the customer service we all have spoken to over and over. wish me luck..have a feeling I may not get far on that.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

TL, you have your pm's turned off?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hello Tree Lover! Add the fact that this has hindered your sale opportunity to the list of damages Imprelis has caused you. I'm also waiting for the offer before I send anything to Dupont about my concerns since it seems as though I will have to reject it anyhow based on my conversation with them. I also have suffered delay in refinancing due to the post-apocalyptic scenery of my Imprelis-damaged property. And, to those who say they only comp an extra 15% of the total for our trouble, that is subject to each property and circumstances. The original wording used by Dupont is:
" In order to cover costs, inconveniences and other possible impacts associated with Imprelis®, DuPont will provide participating property owners an additional direct payment based on a fixed percentage of the total validated claim." The "fixed percentage" starts at 15%, but nothing written in stone or laws which state that fixed percentage can't be adjusted to reflect additional monetary loss a property owner will suffer from. It's all about what it will take for each property owner to accept the offer. In the end, I'm sure there will be many more heading to court if Dupont doesn't compensate fairly for these extra circumstances. You just have to spell everything out in the letter back to them. This is no more time consuming than going to court and the way I feel this just gives me more experience before heading to court. Hopefully, Dupont claim department people will do the right and moral thing and properly compensate us for our WHOLE loss. Not every company employee is evil. I'm sure there are some good moral people in Dupont claims that want to make this right. Surely, hopefully they exist and those above them want to avoid a more costly litigation process of even more people leaving the claims process and filing separate suits in court.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
02-26-2012, 12:46 AM

RRSS440

LawnSite Member Join Date: Feb 2012

Values

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Their "replacement value table"
1' = $30
2-4' = $90
5-6' = $230
7-8' = $360
9-10' = $520
11-12' = $650
13-14' = $930
15-16' = $1,000
17-18' = $1,120
19-20' = $1,910
I had a 28' valued at $4,000

As I said they offered a fair market price for removal of the dead tree's. As well as the above chart for replacement value. They offered payment for an extended care program for 12 tree's which should cover two years of fertilizer and pesticide applications. As well they offered a care program for the new tree's for one year. In addition to all that they added 15% for pain and suffering. I know it is not a golden parachute, but it seems like a fair market value and fair market price for replacement.

You will have to make your best decision on what it is worth to you. Good luck.
Wish he/she had an email link, would love to see if they actually got their payment.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard much higher prices than what's seen above, but it has to do with the state and area a person's property is in and other factors. It is not one chart fits all. I also spoke to Dupont about it and they confirmed values vary depending on many issues. Mine can't be replaced at those prices in my area. Of course, removal cost is not in those values either or other costs.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I think we need to try to get this story some national news coverage. Does anyone have any contacts to possibly help that happen?