Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Dinner with a Veteran

I am always looking for small things that I can do to improve the morale of my company.

Last week, I was out mowing and chatted for a bit with a new customer. It turns out that he is a 90 year old WWII veteran. He was in 4 major battles which included D-day and the Battle of the Bulge. He was in the tank corps. He was also a talker. I figured that this sort of an opportunity was too good to pass up and so I called him yesterday and made arrangements to go out to dinner with him and his wife. I have 3 vets working for me and figured that this would be a good thing for them as well so most of my company is going to be there.

These guys aren't going to be around much longer and this opportunity is like a gold mine. I'm really looking forward to it.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Sponsor

PTP, your suggestion is fantastic, having family that has served and is presently serving is very important to me and I do what ever I can to help our Military, all branches in any way I can. Enjoy yourself and learn.
easy-lift guy
Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

That is really nice of you to do that! Just remember that some topics might be hard to talk about for him. Enjoy the dinner!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 05-15-2012, 03:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Lawn Care View Post
That is really nice of you to do that! Just remember that some topics might be hard to talk about for him. Enjoy the dinner!
Yes, I have found that to be true with some veterans and have purposely not asked questions for that reason. However, I had trouble getting away from him because he was talking so much and his wife told me on the phone, "he's got a lot of stories to tell" so I figure we are on safe ground here.

We'll try not to push it though.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 05-17-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, we didn't do dinner but we went over to his home instead. He showed us his medals, told his stories, and just talked about the war in general. It was really interesting.

Here is a picture of my customer, Mr. Chaney, disembarking the landing craft at Normandy. He is the one who is facing the camera in the middle of the picture.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 05-19-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

WOW this is VERY hard to belive he does't look 30 in that PICTURE !!!

HUMMMM
Old 05-21-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTP View Post
I am always looking for small things that I can do to improve the morale of my company.

Last week, I was out mowing and chatted for a bit with a new customer. It turns out that he is a 90 year old WWII veteran. He was in 4 major battles which included D-day and the Battle of the Bulge. He was in the tank corps. He was also a talker. I figured that this sort of an opportunity was too good to pass up and so I called him yesterday and made arrangements to go out to dinner with him and his wife. I have 3 vets working for me and figured that this would be a good thing for them as well so most of my company is going to be there.

These guys aren't going to be around much longer and this opportunity is like a gold mine. I'm really looking forward to it.
Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-23-2012, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
WOW this is VERY hard to belive he does't look 30 in that PICTURE !!!

HUMMMM
He was 23, do the math correct.
Posted via Mobile Device