Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Commercial Push Mowers

Been looking around at push mowers randomly and saw that the commercial runs run around 12-1500 in my area.

My question is are they even worth it? Do they cut that much better?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's in the construction, I know for a fact homeowner types are less sturdy and they are not as rigid in the construction as the commercial makes, for example on my Honda HRR I have to watch the wheel height setting as it likes to slip a notch on occasion, a commercial machine wouldn't do it.

But I use my Wb most of the time and the 21" only when the Wb won't fit so it sees little use and for the $300 I paid for my refurbished model I only had to get one season out of it to make it pay for itself and I'm currently on my 2nd or 3rd year with it and I'm pleased with what it does, I got what I paid for and it does what I wanted it to do, nothing more, nothing less.

So it all depends what you want, I think.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i guess if you cut with a 21" as your main mower and cut all day long with it then a commercial mower might be worth it.

personally i would go with the honda hrx with the nexite deck. they are about $500 new. you could buy 2 of them for the price of one honda hrc commercial model.

if you look at exmark commercial 21" mower it has the regular gcv 160 honda engine on it as an option not the commercial engine. the residential engines are probably just as good almost as the commercial honda engines. the one on my pushmower is over 8 years old and still going but i don't use it all the time every day or anything. i did use it to mow my own lawn for about 5 years though at my old house.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

funny you mention the Honda mowers since that's exactly what i use the honda hrx entry model. i mean my main mowers are a bobcat zero turn and snapper pro walk behind so i can't justify a commercial push mower personally.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honda HRC 216. Great bagger (probably the best), built like a tank, hydrostatic drive ('free rolls' without any restriction), commercial motor...cast iron cylinder sleeve, large reinforced handlebars. Just to name a few. Beware, all commercial mowers are heavy and HRC is one of the heaviest. I have had one last 10 years and sold it to another lawn service in Hawaii. I really don't have anything bad to say about this mower.

If you bought this one you would have your needs met for many years. This is too much mower for light duty or occasional use. You would save a ton of money if you go with brand x. HRC 216 must see heavy service to make any sense for you. However, not knowing your intention for 21in. don't know what to say. But FYI you got a heads up. Do a search especially the one that 'Roger' posted a couple years back...very good research and actual field reporting on the homeowner Honda. Do the search, you will be up for days on this topic of why you need a commercial mower vs homeowner.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

YES. there worth it........
Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

If you are going to be using it everyday, go commercial. For instance a resi deck is normally stamped 12ga steel and a commercial deck is 3/16" or 1/4" thick welded steel plate. Engines that are going to be used everyday need cast iron sleeves found on the commercial engines. Simple answer...yes they are worth it.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
YES. there worth it........
I agree. I bought a Toro super recycler last month after looking at a couple commercial models. I really wanted a commercial unit. For a trim mower they were just too heavy for my purpose. I demoed a Gravely and it was built like a tank. The Xmark was nice also. I had no problem dropping the coin on one, but my main concern was the weight and having the option to side discharge. On days I seldom use the 20" it goes in the pick up bed so I don't have to fight with it on the trailer. The only one that I really considered, was the Toro #22156. Light and had side discharge option, but it was only one speed not variable. The SR4 is decent, very light, agile and fast. Fits the bill for a trim mower.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is that review link. Seems like it has just been on the top of the posts lately.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=268848