Register free!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry everyone, I just figured out how to reduce the size of the photo I was trying to upload to go with my previous post about the Brown edger with the half-inch wide rotor.
Attached Images

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 05-24-2012, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Phil, in that application and soils I can see how the edger works for you. I would like to see photos of what it does across mature / established lawn. Also, how does it handle turns? What is it's effective turning radius? What happens when you come across a buried rock or root?

I have yet to see any machine that can put wire in the ground as quickly, accurately AND neatly (in all soil & ground conditions) as we can do it by hand using flat spades & trenching shovels.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 05-24-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

James,
If I may.......I agree that for most of us, in all conditions, nothing will be as popular as our hand tools. Most times its quicker to grab a spade and go rather than having to unload a machine, check oil and gas and then see where buried lines and pipe might be lurking. If however you already own a machine like the Brown bed edger it can come in handy sometimes for long runs in the right soil conditions. Granted on an established lawn the choice would have to be made between machine and spade depending on distance and perhaps more importantly....viewing location.
Almost forgot to answer this....On established lawns it would certainly "leave a mark" where the grass was cut out but would fill in with time. For turns the Brown has two rear wheels that pivot once the release is lifted on the pulling handle. I don't have the exact turning radius but that changes anyway due to which way you are turning and more importantly soil conditions. In short...plan for your turns in advance......gradual is easier on machine and man. When you have pulled these machines up and down hills and covered lots of differing terrain you will know when you hit a rock, gravel or roots. Each have a different feel and mostly sound! You may have to redirect occasionally but I am always amazed at what they can and do go thru.
To sum it all up....I would not go and buy the Brown bed edger to just trench for landscape lighting. However if you already own one, or a friend does, buying the extra rotor for occasional use might be a good investment.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Keith, James, et al: In my case, I already owned the Brown ($2500) and just bought the narrow-trenching rotor. So far, I've been working alone so I will use the machine anywhere feasible including through established turf on a job coming up. And I agree about the feel and sound of hitting something. Typically, you are pulling the machine slowly enough that you know when you make first contact. This strong machine will crack through rocks up to about six inches or can knock off the edges of even larger rocks. Same way with roots. It will go through all but the largest.

BTW, Keith, I am not sure, but weren't you away from this forum for awhile until just recently? Glad to have you back.

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 05-25-2012, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry night View Post

BTW, Keith, I am not sure, but weren't you away from this forum for awhile until just recently? Glad to have you back.
I pop in often but am more of an observer. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Sponsor

Everyone is right and lots of good input. The thing to note is that each geographic region has very different soil charateristics and each homesite different needs. If you have farm like soil or long runs a trencher could be great. The there are other times where nothing beats hand trenching.

The soft sandy soil in Tampa is very different than the ledge rock along a lake in Colorado. However even sandy Tampa, you still come across lots of tree roots and other obstacles. Each location will have its own needs.

The more interesting thing is that this applies well beyond trenching and applies to fixtures, lighting styles, pricing, competition, fixture material and just about everything else in our industry. Being a national co, I see lots of perspectives and differences in needs depending on the locations. Examples... some think a 10" hammer stake is great (maybe they live in soft sandy soil area), others only use our brass trident stake (maybe there area rocks, roots). Many say the full glare protection of our Top Dog spotlight is the way to go, others who have lots of conifer trees may prefer a more open face on the spotlight where the pineneedles can fall off the face. Take in all advice and tailor it to your area.

Have a great Memorial Day 3 Day weekend everyone!
(813) 978-3700
alanb@voltlighting.com
www.voltlighting.com

Factory Direct Outdoor Lighting