Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-26-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

F150 v6 spray tank size???

Just recently bought an 2003 f 150 for fertilization company. What is the largest spray tank/spray rig this size truck can handle?
Old 05-27-2012, 07:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt put anything larger than a 250 gallon and I would put helper spring in the rear leafs to keep it from sagging.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You want to consider Braking Power. Hauling weight demands a lot of stopping power. Flat land you might get away with a 200 Gallon tank if you drive careful IMHO. Hill country go with no more than 150 gallons.

F150 are only sedans with a bed on the back. What you need is a real truck which start at 3/4 ton rating. GVW is calculated by the Braking power.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

You want to consider Braking Power. Hauling weight demands a lot of stopping power. Flat land you might get away with a 200 Gallon tank if you drive careful IMHO. Hill country go with no more than 150 gallons.

F150 are only sedans with a bed on the back. What you need is a real truck which start at 3/4 ton rating. GVW is calculated by the Braking power.

Its tow capacity shoul let you know if it can handle the weight. I'm sure it has a 5000 lb towing capacity which is about 2x more weight than a skid sprayer. This is why I mentioned helper springs or add a leafs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-27-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 200 Gallon in a V8 F 150. As a rule, we filled and mixed on commerical sites then used. If we filled at the shop, then side roads to accounts only.

100 Gallons sloshing around at highway speeds was very noticable.

The F 150 is a great city truck for light loads, light towing short distances only.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

a F150 has 1000 Lb. payload limit. A gallon of water weigh's 8.3 Lb's. According to my calculator that mean's 120 gallon's. Those thing's aren't built like tank's. If you overload it you risk bending the frame. Braking is severly diminished. If you cause a wreck and you are overloaded like that, it's your a$$. Get a F350.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used to have a 50 gallon tank on a small truck back in the day. Even that was scary. Right now, I have a 100 gallon on a 1 ton heavy duty. Could not imagine going up and down hills at freeway speeds with anything less. Having more truck than load means the brakes, engine, suspension, and transmission are not being stretched to their limits every time you turn the key.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I used to have a 50 gallon tank on a small truck back in the day. Even that was scary. Right now, I have a 100 gallon on a 1 ton heavy duty. Could not imagine going up and down hills at freeway speeds with anything less. Having more truck than load means the brakes, engine, suspension, and transmission are not being stretched to their limits every time you turn the key.
I had two lesco 50 gal skids in the back of a reg cab 4x4 Tacoma...was fine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
a F150 has 1000 Lb. payload limit. A gallon of water weigh's 8.3 Lb's. According to my calculator that mean's 120 gallon's. Those thing's aren't built like tank's. If you overload it you risk bending the frame. Braking is severly diminished. If you cause a wreck and you are overloaded like that, it's your a$$. Get a F350.
Depending on model it can be up to 3000 pounds...it's no less than 1500 according to my research.

http://www.fordf150.net/specs/03f150.php
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

Driving a Truck with a tank is totally different than driving the family car. Add in wet slippery roads after a light rain and you can wreak real easy. A lead foot is not the way to drive a tank truck. Drive it like a Grandfather would.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.

Tags
f150 , spray , tank , truck , weight