Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo SRM-2100 Dies under throttle

My echo srm-2100 starts up ok, but as soon as I hit the throttle it dies. At first last year it would only run at about half throttle, but I managed through some light duty work that way. Well this spring it has gotten to the point where i can't do anything with it. Put a new plug in and no gas to no avail. Going to grab a new fuel filter (air filter is good) tomorrow and some 91 octane fuel since I messed up and bought 87. I've never touched the carb adjustment, should I try to adjust the carb? Or is it beyond that? I was thinking about just buying a replacement zama carb, is that a good idea? They only run $40 and if they are simple to install it would be a lot cheaper than paying a shop to mess with it. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-25-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sound like the carb could be clogged, but could also be the fuel filter. I buy the Echo maintenance kit for my SRM 210. It has a spark plug, fuel filter and air filter. Good place to start. Are you using any kind of fuel additive? If not you should start adding a little to your premix to help aid any problems from todays new fuel. I use Startron.

Link for tune up kit
http://www.echo-usa.com/Repower/
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 05-25-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
Sound like the carb could be clogged, but could also be the fuel filter. I buy the Echo maintenance kit for my SRM 210. It has a spark plug, fuel filter and air filter. Good place to start. Are you using any kind of fuel additive? If not you should start adding a little to your premix to help aid any problems from todays new fuel. I use Startron.

Link for tune up kit
http://www.echo-usa.com/Repower/
Yep star tron in my fuel too. Just regular stabilizer in the past. I already have a new plug and the air filter is clean because I changed it recently. Will grab a fuel filter tomorrow, but will be surprised if that's teh only issue.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk View Post
My echo srm-2100 starts up ok, but as soon as I hit the throttle it dies. At first last year it would only run at about half throttle, but I managed through some light duty work that way. Well this spring it has gotten to the point where i can't do anything with it. Put a new plug in and no gas to no avail. Going to grab a new fuel filter (air filter is good) tomorrow and some 91 octane fuel since I messed up and bought 87. I've never touched the carb adjustment, should I try to adjust the carb? Or is it beyond that? I was thinking about just buying a replacement zama carb, is that a good idea? They only run $40 and if they are simple to install it would be a lot cheaper than paying a shop to mess with it. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Does it have a spark arrester screen on the muffler? I was using a new RedMax this year when that happened. My boss got a pair of pliers and pulled that screen out. Full throttle again.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_SURVEYOR View Post
Does it have a spark arrester screen on the muffler? I was using a new RedMax this year when that happened. My boss got a pair of pliers and pulled that screen out. Full throttle again.
Thanks I'll take a look. I think it was on the list of things to check in the owners manual, so I'll definitely take a look.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I threw some 94 octane ethanol free fuel in there along with a new fuel filter. I sprayed out the carb a little and cleaned the vent. Seems to run pretty good now. Still runs better at 75% throttle than 100% throttle, but at least it's running. Wondering if a new carb might be worth the $38 anyway at soem point.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Member

isn't your srm-2100 a two stroke?? you are blending your fuel correctly? A little wacky on the ratios makes a big difference in performance. fwiw.

dscut
Old 05-27-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselscut View Post
isn't your srm-2100 a two stroke?? you are blending your fuel correctly? A little wacky on the ratios makes a big difference in performance. fwiw.

dscut
I was super careful in my mix. This batch was even premixed stuff i bought in a can at the tractor store. That being said it's running pretty good now, but if I go over 75% throttle it bogs down. Probably will just research a car rebuild, or more likely a replacement since they're not even $40.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did you pull the spark arrestor screen as MS_Surveyor suggested? That's the first place to look. It's probably clogged with carbon, choking off your exhaust flow. You don't have to pull it out for good, just pull it out, flame it with a torch and knock the carbon off with a wire brush, then put it back in.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There should be some kinda of an adjustment screw on the back of the carb. It shoulds like it might be running a bit too lean. I would try backing that out a bit (1/8 -1/4 turn) then to see how it runs. I have had to do to my echo and shindy trimmers.