Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-28-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro36 View Post
There should be some kinda of an adjustment screw on the back of the carb. It shoulds like it might be running a bit too lean. I would try backing that out a bit (1/8 -1/4 turn) then to see how it runs. I have had to do to my echo and shindy trimmers.
Yeah I'll give it a go. The spark arrestor screen was clean.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerRedhawk View Post
Yeah I'll give it a go. The spark arrestor screen was clean.
Did you take it out, or just looked at it?

I remember when the RedMax was acting up, I looked at it in the muffler. looked good to me! The owner said use the other trimmer, I'll pul it. So as I was fueling up he pulled the screen. It didn't look all that bad. Then he cranked it up and that baby ran like a Scalded Ape! He said the RedMax dealer said to pull em. None of his trimmer have ever started a fire!
Old 05-28-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo Dying Lean

Since the carb initially did not allow the engine to do anything, there are 2 things you can try. One has already been mentioned. If it has an L mixture screw needle and an H mixture screw needle, try turning the L screw counterclockwise about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. The L and H screws are usually marked and the L screw will be the one closest to the engine. I feel that the fuel pump in this diaphragm carb has dried out somewhat (doesnt take long with E-10 in the gas). Retrieve the model number off of the carb and order a G &D (gasket and diaphragm kit) for it. They are really inexpensive and usually cure the hard-to-start and poor/no acceleration issues. This is a VERY common problem with 2-stroke weed trimmers of ALL brands.

Last edited by WorkinOnIt; 05-28-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have repaired a bunch of Echo units and there is never a reason to get a new carb. At most get the $10 kit and learn to install them.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinOnIt View Post
Since the carb initially did not allow the engine to do anything, there are 2 things you can try. One has already been mentioned. If it has an L mixture screw needle and an H mixture screw needle, try turning the L screw counterclockwise about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. The L and H screws are usually marked and the L screw will be the one closest to the engine. I feel that the fuel pump in this diaphragm carb has dried out somewhat (doesnt take long with E-10 in the gas). Retrieve the model number off of the carb and order a G &D (gasket and diaphragm kit) for it. They are really inexpensive and usually cure the hard-to-start and poor/no acceleration issues. This is a VERY common problem with 2-stroke weed trimmers of ALL brands.
Thanks, I figured there was some adjustment I coudl make with those mixture screws, but wasn't really sure where to start. I'll try that out and see where it leads me.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I have repaired a bunch of Echo units and there is never a reason to get a new carb. At most get the $10 kit and learn to install them.
Well my only 'reason' for the new carb would be if it saved me time compared to using the rebuild kit. I'll fire up some youtube videos of the rebuilds and see how long it looks like it might take me.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Some Echo machines use those newer "rotary-barrel" carbs. They are a different animal to tune than the butterfly valve diaphragm carbs. Most have NO adjusting screws, but some of them can be enriched from their ridiculously lean condition by removing a plastic cap, pulling out a brass sleeve and inside is the magical High speed jet with a slot in it! You open that baby up a little and it starts much easier, accelerates and runs like a bat.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinOnIt View Post
Some Echo machines use those newer "rotary-barrel" carbs. They are a different animal to tune than the butterfly valve diaphragm carbs. Most have NO adjusting screws, but some of them can be enriched from their ridiculously lean condition by removing a plastic cap, pulling out a brass sleeve and inside is the magical High speed jet with a slot in it! You open that baby up a little and it starts much easier, accelerates and runs like a bat.
Thanks, this is an srm-2100, it's 15-20 years old. It has two adjusting screws plus an idle adjustment on it.