Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hard scape guy invading your threads

Hi guys, I
We don't do ponds, but will be doing one in my backyard. What's my best bet for pond liners? Is there somewhere online that's worth buying? Seems the shipping would be killer, or do I just buy from a local pond shop I know of?

Thanks
Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Hi guys, I
We don't do ponds, but will be doing one in my backyard. What's my best bet for pond liners? Is there somewhere online that's worth buying? Seems the shipping would be killer, or do I just buy from a local pond shop I know of?

Thanks
Your ONLY logical choice in pond liner is 45 mil EPDM 'Fish Safe', beyond that it doesn't matter who manufactures it.
On-line pricing will vary, in some cases, over $.10 sq/ft. I would look for a combination of best base price and proximity of the supplier. The closer they are, the less the freight charge. Odds are, you will pay considerably more per sq/ft from the local 'pond shop'.
Don't forget your geotextile underlayment!
If you don't already have the skimmer, biofilter, pump and specialty plumbing items, you may be able to secure everything from one source. This saves on per item shipping.

Last edited by tadpole; 05-30-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey52 View Post
Hi guys, I

Thanks
Everything that Tad said is right on. Where are you located? Keep an eye on Craigslist, a lot of times you can find deals on liner that is extra or a failed dream build gone bad. Skimmers are a big debate but definately go with a good size pump to keep your pond healthy/clear by being turned over enough.

Plants! Lots of plants.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with the skimmer especially if you have trees, catches the leaves before they hit the bottom.

Decide if you want a koi pond, goldie pond or water feature, there is a big difference on filtration. I can pm you the koi site I mod on, excellent construction site. If this is your first pond, it helps to know what you need to do. If you want fish, you'll need mechanical and biofiltration. Alot can be done as DIY to save some money. Learn by our mistakes.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=STL Ponds and Waterfalls;4428925] Skimmers are a big debate/QUOTE]

I mean brand wise and sizing, always use a skimmer in my personal experience.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely I love my Savio, some don't. I have a cheaper one on the Wakin pond.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyb View Post
Go with the skimmer especially if you have trees, catches the leaves before they hit the bottom.

Decide if you want a koi pond, goldie pond or water feature, there is a big difference on filtration. I can pm you the koi site I mod on, excellent construction site. If this is your first pond, it helps to know what you need to do. If you want fish, you'll need mechanical and biofiltration. Alot can be done as DIY to save some money. Learn by our mistakes.
Are you insinuating that this gentleman CANNOT obtain correct information on this forum? The veteran members of this forum have many, many years experience in designing, constructing and maintaining hundreds of ponds and other Water Features. Admittedly, there are probably a few Hacks that are members, but they rarely post because they are quickly corrected for their inaccuracies. However, for the most part, any information that is gleaned from this forum is backed up by years of hands-on field testing and/or accepted peer-reviewed scientific fact. You will rarely find this level of informational quality on a DIY forum.
We HAVE to know what we are doing to be able to guarantee our work, otherwise we are quickly out-of-business. Word-of-mouth, anecdotal information is not necessarily factual, nor does it usually have any basis is science.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Once I hear filtration system is different for koi I know they are reffering to those ugly and expensive systems that need 1/3 of an acre and several thousand dollars to run! Sorry not for me
Old 06-06-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztlanLC View Post
Once I hear filtration system is different for koi I know they are reffering to those ugly and expensive systems that need 1/3 of an acre and several thousand dollars to run! Sorry not for me
As I call them an outdoor fish tank.