Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Buying used spray tanks

Going to look at a used lesco spray tank this week and wanted to know steps of checking out the tank before purchasing a dud....

i understand how the units work and what main things to look for but wanted advice or comments on any small things to check so i dont overlook an area before making a decision that could hurt in the long run.

thank you for the post in advance.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Make sure it holds water,motor is the biggest thing on there.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure it sprays and maintains good pressure. Hose reel, pump and motor are the major things to check.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The pump is likely the most expensive part of the system...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with all the above but does anyone worry about what herbicides were sprayed in the tank previously?

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS View Post
I agree with all the above but does anyone worry about what herbicides were sprayed in the tank previously?
Nah, just wash it out good if concerned. I go from round-up to selective without even a rinse...just a complete drain of tank. If I have a few gallons leftover I put it in empty 2.5 gal chem jugs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dangerous and not legal to put solutions in jugs when it is not labeled fully and properly. Don't risk confusion of the Roundup jugs with Three Way. You risk replacing the lawn and paying a fine, too.

When buying a used sprayer, above are good pointers. Look for oil leaks, and herbicide leaks. oil should be slightly transparent if changed in the last few months. Don't ask, but listen carefully for sellers comments on how carefully it was maintained...if he says nothing about it--be skeptical.
Check his garage--you should find a bottle of 80-90 gear oil which is used to top off and lubricate the gears in the 10 to 1 speed reducer, check the level (for evidence that it has been maintained regularly).

Pressure guage should be steady, needle should not bounce much. Spray some solution back into the tank...pressure guage should drop by about 40 percent when Chemlawn gun is open.
If pump delivers 6 gals per minute--it should fill a 2.5 gal jug in 25 seconds.

Crank up the pressure to about 200 psi--if nothing blows up--you should be safe spraying at normal pressures of about 100 pounds.

Check the pump oil--it should be clean and transparent not milky white like if a diaphragm is blown.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have a suggestion as to what to do with 5 gallons of roundup? None of my jugs have any old labels on them and they are marked with what's inside. I use the solution in my backpacks.

Since it was brought to my attention that I was wrong on using old jugs to keep Pre-mix concentrate for round-up I'd like to point out something....if you happen across a D252 pump it won't put out 6 gallons per minute, especially with 300 feet of 3/8" hose...in fact I'd bet a D50 pump wouldn't do 6 gpm with 3/8" hose. Second, since it's illegal to reuse 2.5 gallon jugs be sure not to use those for checking your pump. Use a bucket with graduations.

Just bustin' your chops Riggle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So true, CGA, you will never get 6 gals per minute from a Hypro 252 pump after the friction of 300 feet of hose. 2.5 gals per min is more typical; the 404 pump might be a bit better.

I am glad to hear you mark your "leftovers" jugs with what is inside and the concentration.
All of us have to be careful about chemical mistakes. You don't want to cause a problem and convince your local polictican to add more regulations.

A regular labeled Roundup jug would not be correct as the concentration of the dilute solution would be much less. I guess the only proper way to do would be to cover up the original concentration, and then label the jug prominantly as the dilute solution (2 Percent in big bold letters).

You definately do not want to apply the concentrate when you intended to apply the dilute solution. And do not measure out the dilute solution when you think you are using the concentrate. Don't gamble...don't apologize.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's pretty easy to tell concentrate from pre-mix...when in doubt treat it as non selective. Since I spray many areas with roundup from a skid tank I use lots of roundup...industrial areas, banks and wild areas...I always have a place to apply non-selective so that's why I put it in jugs. I am a zero waste facility. I don't have to worry about what to do with rinsate.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
lesco , purchasing , spray , steps , tank