Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll go sneak there under the cover of darkness and fix everything, lol.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lol.....subtle......not covert.....
Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avguy View Post
Darrel....subtly is your friend here. Because it is one of your accounts you look at it from a different view than your customer. When you get the opportunity, compliment them on the effort they have put into "their" project and then comment that you wished "we" hadn't planted that maple so deep and that you are concerned for it's longetivity......takes it from being "their" project to now being "our" project......just another opinion
You're absolutely right, and the consensus here is clear.
It's not whether or not you should approach your customer about this, it is just a question of how.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll be sure to tell them they did it wrong but they'll have to pay my consulting fee if they want to know how to do it right.

I would have been happy to help them lay out the plants in the bed. I usually just take the containers and place them where I think they should go, step back, scratch my head a bit, shuffle them around until I'm happy, and then double check the plant tags for compliance with space/sunlight requirements before I move any dirt.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I know this is a little late, but as a homeowner and a do-it-myselfer I thought I would add on. I got my plans from a nursery (with the knowledge I would do the work myself) and did an ok job. I switched some plants based on what I liked at the time and was pleased with the result. Some of those changes were ok and some were not. Having someone look at the finished product and give advise would have been great. You have this opportunity now. Also, folks driving by have no idea that the homeowner did the work themselves and may be saying "that landscapers a real bone head, there's no way I'll ever hire him" Just use tact and everything should be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll be going there this week...it's an every other week account. Did I mention they don't have a very high standard for their yard? lol
Old 05-30-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Homeowner Reply

Darryl, As a homeowner I feel you would likely be doing this customer a disservice by not saying anything. Jump in there and speak to them about it. I doubt they will drop your service. I know it is hard but better now than later!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly, they'd be doing me a favor it they dropped me, lol. It's a really nice house with the crappiest yard in the neighborhood. I have four others in that neighborhood and they all have nice lawns with weekly service....a neighborhood where all of the houses are $500K+. They got a bargain on theirs at $444K 2 years ago as a bank forclosure. The town has it valued at $653K. I cut it for them once last year and we parted ways because the guy sent me away at 2 weeks and then 3 days later Hurricane Irene came, which of course tied me up with storm cleanup. He was basically on the bottom of my priority list. I told him I'd be there "this week" but he got impatient and told me to forget it, he'd find someone else. He was literally next on my list. Anyway...no hard feelings, he called this year and wanted me back so I bumped the price up $10, which is where it should have been to begin with. He keeps trying to lure me with all this landscaping work they want done, and now they're doing it themselves...whatever. It's on my route and it's income...but the account really does not fit my business model.