Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Too many clippings

Okay so i just bought a used cub cadet tank (command cut) with high lift blades to cut a few lawns to see if I may want to get in the biz.

Unfortunately the mower is leaving large quantities of grass clippings when I side discharge. I cut frequently so the length of the lawn is not the issue. The blades may need to be sharpened but they don't seem that dull. I do drive it fast but that is what I thought it is meant to do. The other day I cut a customers lawn in a circle and raked the large pile at the end but I don't want to have to do this every time.

Oregon doesn't make the g6 for the cub so that isn't an option. I really don't want to have to buy a bagger but have been looking at the accelerator.

Anybody have any suggestions? And no I don't want to get rid of the cub.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

your first mistake is mowing fast, why would you buy a mower to see if you want to get in the bizz go work for someone like normal people do and then see
Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This time of year with the lush grass growth there are a lot of clippings. Cutting a little bit taller will reduce the amount of clippings and make it easier to "hide" them. Your best bet is probably to double cut the lawn. One way is to cut it as normal and then cut it again at a 45 or 90 degree angle with the deck raised up 1/4 to 1/2 inch above where your first cut was. This should make most of the clippings disappear and make the lawn look a lot better too. If there are still clumps of clippings laying around you can hit them with a blower.

Last edited by Darryl G; 05-31-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin5309 View Post
Okay so i just bought a used cub cadet tank (command cut) with high lift blades to cut a few lawns to see if I may want to get in the biz.

Unfortunately the mower is leaving large quantities of grass clippings when I side discharge. I cut frequently so the length of the lawn is not the issue. The blades may need to be sharpened but they don't seem that dull. I do drive it fast but that is what I thought it is meant to do. The other day I cut a customers lawn in a circle and raked the large pile at the end but I don't want to have to do this every time.
<<My Emotions as i read your post... lol

Well first things first Dont cut fast if you want a Quality Cut ESPECIALLY if its long.
Double cuts are sometimes necessary if the clumps look really bad. But DO NOT DOUBLE CUT THE SAME PATTERN! (if you cut it the first time side to side, do the next cut up and down.) Less ruts. I would never rake a customers lawn lol!

PM For DETAILS!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You now in a circle and rake the clippings...
at a clients house? Slow your mower down and let the blades do the work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonlawncare View Post
You now in a circle and rake the clippings...
at a clients house? Slow your mower down and let the blades do the work.
Posted via Mobile Device

And don't mow in a circles. Plus take the advice from posters above.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

you mow fast? :facepalm:

I recently popped my riding mower cherry on a john deere 185 hydro. you have to FEEL what the mower will let you do, then look at the lawn you leave behind, and adjust your speed to what the lawn is telling you. not just power through according to what you think your mower is capable of

you can't mow every lawn the same speed, even if the height of the lawn is about the same height, and even on the same lawn you might have to change your speed because of grass/weed ratio, thickness, and different grass types.

granted the blades of the deere were chipped up, but the fastest I could cut was half forward speed, and the minimum was almost a crawl because of the thickness of the grass.

even with new blades and shorter grass, I'm still not expecting the deere to ever do better than 3/4 forward speed in the thinnest spots, if even that.

how hard were you pushing it?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You didn't say exactly what approximate height your are cutting from, down to what height you finish at. Do you know for sure what your blade height is when in the cutting position you mow at? The various settings that come on mowers aren't always what the blades are actually cutting at. Check them at the front tips when in the cutting position with something reliable like the gauge Deere sells,or a small steel ruler etc.

Mowing in circles looks like crap, and causes the clippings to pile up as you go. If you have a discharge chute on your mower deck, try raising it so that the clippings can fly farther and spread out better.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think I'd better say this...when you measure the height of the blades as Ridin' Green suggested, make sure to turn off the mower.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
I think I'd better say this...when you measure the height of the blades as Ridin' Green suggested, make sure to turn off the mower.
also, make sure you're on something like a level and flat concrete pad so you can read it reliably.

Tags
bagger , cadet , clippings , cub , grass