Go Back   LawnSite.comô - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Gravely
User Name
Password
Home Gravely.com Parts Find a Dealer About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

On my second Gravely - went with the pro-turn 152. Very happy with it. I have 19.5 hours on it over the past month.

pros: smooth, fast hydros. SOLID deck. Soft ride saddle. Fuel capacity. KAWI motor. Overall feel. adjustable operator positions. ENGINE GUARD!

cons: a little heavy for some lawns. my deck does not catch when stowing about 15% of the time (was told this was common). mulching kit not standard Stock blades dulled withing four or five hours, but I will say our mild winter and slow to call customers created some really badly weeded lawns.

I am a happy gravely customer and my third and forth mowers will be Gravely as well.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like I'm going to be a future Gravely owner. I had the chance to demo the 460 and was super impressed. I've been running Hustler SZs for the last 12 years, Exmark, Ferris, and Encore walk behinds, and I recently demoed the Walker Super B, Bad Boy Outlaw, and Husqvarna PZ. Congratulations on making a really nice machine! I only had about an hr to play on it on flat, dry ground but I liked just about everything about it when I demoed it. It road better than any ZTR I've ever been on and was very smooth to operate.

The only constructive criticism I have is the gas tank gauges should be near the front of the tanks to be seen easily from the seated position, pneumatic tires are a must (over 2000 hrs. and only one flat for me so far), ride and handling are much better, COG would be nicer if a little lower, the bolts in the deck for the optional mulch kit stick out under the deck catching clippings and making another obstacle to scrape around when cleaning (these bolts should come with the mulch kit and a shorter set that are flush with the underside should come in the deck from factory), I like the hinged discharge chute better than the manual, I wouldn't argue if you wanted to add a couple mph too, and the bagger system could be simplified even more (see Husky PZ). I'm a picky guy and once I get a season under my belt on one I may have a thing or two to add but well done sirs!

My likes I wrote in my other post. thread #115

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=375000&page=3

They are too many to list again here and I'm sure I left some out.

Last edited by mtmower; 05-05-2012 at 11:35 PM..
Old 05-23-2012, 12:43 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan1 View Post
I dont own a Gravely but saw one up close for the first time yesterday at a Bush Hog dealer and was really Impressed with how stout it was built! I dont think there is a dealer in my area Ill have to look, very interested now
TinMan1 - I sent you a private message.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm the proud owner of a 460 and have a few good cutting days under my belt. Once again guys, nice product! I didn't think it would be possible but I do believe that the 460 is going to be a more productive mower than my Hustler Super Zs were. I'm actually actively trying to sell my other SZ so I can now replace it with another 460. Shoot I'd even sell my 36" Encore hydro-pro walk behind and replace it if I could.

As I said before I'm very picky and so far my gripes are, as mentioned in my earlier post, optional mulch bolts extended through the deck hanging out under the bottom (I fixed this using nylon bolts and cut them down so they are flush with bottom surface of deck), mounting system of the bagger could be thought out better, and hinged discharge shoot instead of manual.

I would add making the steering sticks longer so they come closer together by about another 1". It's not bad but this would make it a little easier when steering with one hand.

OCDC is very poor design. Hard to function even when loosened up, chute flap is in the way and effects clippings dispersal, and hard to operate due to clippings getting stuck in air holes and being chopped off or forced through the slot when trying to raise/open.

Seat position. I'm almost 6' and need it all the way back. Fine for me but taller folk my like a notch or two more. The bigger problem lies in the throw of the deck lift pedal. With the seat all the way back and pedal in the middle position I can just comfortably get the deck to lock into transfer position. With the deck set a 3" and my foot on the pedal, the pedal is so far back that it puts my knee in the air and my leg at quite an angle. I had adjust the steering sticks down one notch (2nd from the bottom), to get the most comfortable position for my arms in relation to the seat armrests, but had to put them back due to my knee hitting the stick. Even back at the original setting (2nd from the top) if I'm close to full forward stick it will touch. If I move the pedal adjustment to the forward position then I'll have trouble getting enough reach to get into transfer position. I will say I've run into this situation or one similar to many mower brands I've tried.

Rubber flap for striper, IMO, should be thick conveyer material and I think two positions would be enough when it comes to mounting options.

Hitch kit needs hitch hole drilled out to 3/4 to accept a ball hitch.

Again great mower. May I have another please?!?!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thought of another very small thing that would be nice on the 400 series (told you I was picky). The frame channel where the engine cradle sits holds grass clippings. Would it be possible to flip the channel upside down when manufactured to keep this happening? I can see grass staying in there around the 1000 hrs. plus holding water/moisture causing corrosion.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have been a die hard Scag owner for 15 years. Gravely gave me the opportunity to demo the new 400 series. All I can say is WOW! I now own a Gravely 452. The bar has been set for all the other manufacturers to catch up. Gravely hit a home run with this mower. The comfort is unmatched in this industry.

Here is a link to my full detailed review...with tons of pics!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=375000
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
I have been a die hard Scag owner for 15 years. Gravely gave me the opportunity to demo the new 400 series. All I can say is WOW! I now own a Gravely 452. The bar has been set for all the other manufacturers to catch up. Gravely hit a home run with this mower. The comfort is unmatched in this industry.

Here is a link to my full detailed review...with tons of pics!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=375000
Super cool pic GMLC! Just to let everyone know Gravely sending GMLC south to demo and his informative review is a good part of the reason for me taking an interest in Gravely. Thanks again.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Z Spray fert/sprayer that has a SecDec hr meter similar to the Gravely but it also has the option of showing RPMs. This would be nice to make sure the engine RPMs are always adjusted to the max (3600 in the case of the Kawasaki FX921V).
Old 06-02-2012, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a Gravely Pro-Turn 152, bought it new in June 2010. It has a 24hp Kawasaki FX engine, and hydrogear 3400 integrated pumps/motors. I used it commercially the past two years, and I never found a property that it couldn't handle. I have 330 hrs. on the machine and I have had no problems, and it cuts great. I've done the normal oil and hydro changes, keep the air filter clean, adjust belt tension every week, and other than that I just put gas in it and go. I have never even had to go back to the dealer or anything, no adjustments, nothing needed. This is probably one of the best pieces of equipment I've ever used, and I've used about everything. The quality control at the Gravely plant must be top notch, because it isn't very often that you run a machine without needing some kind of adjustment or something after a few hundred hours. This is a money making machine that is very low maintenance, and super high quality.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh and I almost forgot, I cut probably 75% bahia, 20% bermuda, and 5% Saint Augustine. This mower shines on all of them. I also run mine alot in the winter mulching up leaves and pine needles. The mulch kit works great on this 152.