Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-29-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Suggestions on steep hillside

Hello

I am looking for some suggestions on how to tame my hillside. It is a very steep grade that I am unable to mow, I tried using different trimmers and trimmer blades/attachments most just get wound up in the weeds. So afew years ago I started burning the hillside most would burn easy but there is a area of woody vine that will not burn. I attacked the vines with roundup, fire, trimmer, lopers, and a machete which worked the best I can never seem to get all the vines and they come back the next year just not as bad. Any suggestions on good ways to clear and when finally cleared what would be good to plant on the hillside.

Thanks
Kyle
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Methyl bromide to clear the hillside. MB is the daddy of sterilant's. It will control everything, seed's, root's, there will be no survivor's. Ask any farmer's you know about this stuff. 14-15 cent's per sq. ft. around here.

Blue rug juniper for planting afterward's. Strong root system. Good for hillsides. Should work in your area. Low growing, low maintenance. Need's full sun, ideal for your situation.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. How long would I need to wait for planting after the methyl bromide application and would I have to burn the hill side again to remove the dead brush?

Thanks again
Old 05-31-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can plant 4 day's after you remove the tarp's. You would have to get the majority of the brush before you can use that gas. You have to be able to tarp the ground for the MB to work. I don't see why you couldn't burn, you just can't do that around here, so i really don't know. But it won't affect the MB.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I just googled MB and it seems it is really toxic and would be hard to get. What would be the next best alternative.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your next alternative is to spray everything on that hillside with roundup. Going back after you spray the first time and doing stump treatment's on the woody plant's with garlon or 2-4,D or roundup depending on what's growing.
I know there are product's that might be better for this but i'm not sure what they are. Burning just get's rid of the top growth, the root's are going to survive. You are going to have to do some manual labor for a few month's to get this hillside right. Plant the juniper's, encourage them to grow. You will have to deal with seed's growing until the juniper's can shade out most of them. Good luck.

Last edited by agrostis; 06-01-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if you want to do it the cheaper way, look at getting a couple of goats.