Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Haven't installed my bagger yet and probably won't till this fall but I did pull the instructions out and found that they recommend removing that baffle when the bagger is installed. I'm guessing it's used to produce turbulence need and to separate a portion of the clippings that are exiting the chute for better dispersal. I could be all wet though. Maybe someone from Gravely could chime in. PSC also wondered if the mufflers were SS.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Another question. There is a small baffel on the right side of the discharge opening. Does anyone know what it does? It looks like its removable as only two bolts hold it on?
Posted via Mobile Device
The purpose of this baffle is to help dispense the grass when side discharging.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Haven't installed my bagger yet and probably won't till this fall but I did pull the instructions out and found that they recommend removing that baffle when the bagger is installed. I'm guessing it's used to produce turbulence need and to separate a portion of the clippings that are exiting the chute for better dispersal. I could be all wet though. Maybe someone from Gravely could chime in. PSC also wondered if the mufflers were SS.
mtmower - You are correct in your thinking, and the baffle needs to be removed to install the boot.

PSC - The mufflers on the Pro-Turn 400 are not stainless steel.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravely Commercial View Post
mtmower - You are correct in your thinking, and the baffle needs to be removed to install the boot.

PSC - The mufflers on the Pro-Turn 400 are not stainless steel.

If the muffler is not stainless could you tell us what it is? Is it galvanized or just regular mild steel? If its regular steel then I am going to paint mine with high temp header paint to help protect it from the elements. I was kind of surprised it didnt seem to have any coating on it that's what made me think it was stainless.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 06-01-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely,

Thanks for the response. I think it's awesome for a company to have a rep on line here to answer questions and help out. Above and beyond!

I do have a question. I have approx 7 hr. on my 460 and just today noticed stragglers every so often in no apparent pattern in my very wispy fescue type grass and even a few here and there in blue grass. Almost like I'm lacking vacuum to stand it up. It will be like one or two separate blades of grass every 5 feet or so in no apparent pattern. Made sure the bottom of the deck was clean and blades still look good. Do you offer different blades as optional? Maybe a higher lift? I need to purchase a second back up set of blades anyway.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Gravely,

Thanks for the response. I think it's awesome for a company to have a rep on line here to answer questions and help out. Above and beyond!

I do have a question. I have approx 7 hr. on my 460 and just today noticed stragglers every so often in no apparent pattern in my very wispy fescue type grass and even a few here and there in blue grass. Almost like I'm lacking vacuum to stand it up. It will be like one or two separate blades of grass every 5 feet or so in no apparent pattern. Made sure the bottom of the deck was clean and blades still look good. Do you offer different blades as optional? Maybe a higher lift? I need to purchase a second back up set of blades anyway.
I have found the x-factor deck likes razor sharp blades. That being said the only stringers I have had were in fine fescue at fast speeds. When I slowed down a bit it was cured. When I put fresh blades on I was able to mow at top speeds again in fine fescue. In all other northern grasses I have not had any stringers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2012, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I have found the x-factor deck likes razor sharp blades. That being said the only stringers I have had were in fine fescue at fast speeds. When I slowed down a bit it was cured. When I put fresh blades on I was able to mow at top speeds again in fine fescue. In all other northern grasses I have not had any stringers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you still running OEM blades or have you tried others?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Are you still running OEM blades or have you tried others?
Right now Im still running OEM blades. But yesterday I bought a set of Stens blades from my dealer which are factory replacements (Gravely owns Stens) but are thinner than the stock blades. He claims you get a little more blade tip speed and has had good results. I kinda gave him the look and said I will give them a try. Im going to put them on this weekend and will cut with them on Monday and report back. I have never run thinner blades. Have you ever heard of better blade tip speeds with them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2012, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Right now Im still running OEM blades. But yesterday I bought a set of Stens blades from my dealer which are factory replacements (Gravely owns Stens) but are thinner than the stock blades. He claims you get a little more blade tip speed and has had good results. I kinda gave him the look and said I will give them a try. Im going to put them on this weekend and will cut with them on Monday and report back. I have never run thinner blades. Have you ever heard of better blade tip speeds with them?
Posted via Mobile Device

Are the stens blades he gave you flat on the bottom? The stens blades I buy are flat blades and don't have that small arch to them. I actually think the flat blades might cut a little better than the oem blades. BUT the oem blades do hold an edge longer because they are marbane. The stens have a longer cutting edge also.

Here are my stens laid next to new G6 blades

This is my cut quality with the stens blades. This was done with my 160Z but it has the same deck as our new 400 series. Nice clean smooth cut.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)

Last edited by ProStreetCamaro; 06-02-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

This is one of the Stens blades...looks the same as yours. Your cut looks great!! I like the OEM blades but if my dealer and you are right these may be even better!
Attached Images